upgrading to conroe.. have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I know that I want 4GB. 2GB isn't doing the job for me at times. All I'm wondering is if I get two sticks of 2GB for a total of 4GB, later on maybe when I like get retarded or something and decide I want 8GB (which i KNOW im never going to need..), will I just be able to buy another two sticks and just put them in the other RAM slots for a total of 8GB?
Or to make it more practical, can I take four 1GB sticks and get 4GB? I've never used the other two RAM slots nor do I know anyone who has, so I'm just wondering.

Thanks, I'm really excited about getting the e6600 and a nice water block for it! 3.4 (which seems to be the lowest clock I've seen mentioned) is a really nice number. I can probably get more too. :D

If you really want 4gb, than yes get four 1gb sticks for 4gb. Try and match them all, so you can run them in dual channel.

Well, that answers my question. I'm wondering why you told me to get four 1GB sticks though. It's about $100 cheaper to get 2 2GB stick. at newegg anyway.
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
for $289 US.
That brings me to another question though.. and may answer my first one in this post lol. will 800MHz RAM hold me back from realizing my 3.5GHz dreams?

No...those G. Skills are capable of overclocking to DDR2-900 or DDR2-1000 speeds.

Ahh that's something else I didn't know about DDR2, the default FSB is 400 on those mobos?

How high does the multiplier go on the e6600?

Not a very good mobo.. You're paying a lot of money to get Fatal1tys names stamped on it and not much else. If you don't want to spend too much go for a P6N SLI-FI or DS3 or something.

RAM looks like a really good deal for 275AR.

Other then that, just know that you might have a few extra problems with the 64 bit Vista then you would with 32 bit but it should still work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom