Someone please help. RAM problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, did you say there was NOTHING on the three pins next to your cmos battery?!!!! you need a jumper on them! usually on pins 1-2. reset is pins 2-3.

Okay again. I located jumper. I took battery out after unplugging unit. I moved jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3. I waited 15 seconds and move it back to pins 1 and 2. I reinsert battery and plug it back in. I get the same result. My motherboard beeps and will not boot. I tried with my previous good ram and the new stick of ram. The same result with either. Anyone have any suggestions? The light on my motherboard is lit and everything looks okay... but I get the annoying beep from my mobo and it won't boot. I even tried removing my video card, sound card ethernet card, and reinserting all of them. What the **** can I do next? I am ready to smash this thing. Losing my mind.

Printed out mobo manual. States run is pins 2-3 and reset is pins 1-2. Tried inserting ram.... unplugging, removing battery, switching jumper, replacing battery, and rebooting. Same response from mobo. Intermittent beep spaced evenly which suggests memory failure right? What would my next step be? I tried with both my sticks of ram (one at a time) and one of them is brand new. Itried both in each of the three slots. Would my next step be to pull mobo and search for damage to ram slots? Anyone ?

your motherboard model is actually a A7S333...just to let you know.

maybe the motherboard might be bad...

Supported RAM Speedss:
PC1600, DDR266/PC2100, PC2700

if any of your chips are not those, they may not be compatible with the motherboard.

hmm...re reading your last post makes me suspect that the motherboard might be dead...i guess you could do a bench test, that has happened to me before. just strip the entire pc out of the case, clean everything, and put it back. note: dont use liquid to clean it, just air, and try not to damage board, and make sure to ground youself before you do.

if it still doesnt work, then my last assumption is that the motherboard might be dead.

just a random question first, is your video card pci or agp?

If the motherboard was bad, wouldn't I be getting a different error signal from it? A steady beep.... not intermittent ones. Is that correct. I thought intermittent beeps suggested memory failure. The ram I have worked fine until I tried to upgrade with unknown ram. I then purchased a 186 pin dimm 2700 ram rated for a front bus of 133 which is what I have.This new ram won't work either. Can inserting incompatable ram destroy your motherboard or good ram? is that even possible? This computer worked okay with the original 512 mb I had installed in it. WTF. Could I somehow have damaged the ram slot when I inserted the incompatable ram? Would that cause a memory failure even if no ram was inserted into that slot when booting? I'm goin nuts. Spent hours trying to get this thing to work. Wish I could afford to buy a new computer.

going to remove everything.... including mobo and check for damage to ram slot on backside. Maybe solder joint is bad or something. Would that do it? Cause all my problems?

ok, so its agp. heres something to try, remove your graphics card and clean the connector, and blow out the connector on the motherboard. also if you have another psu try that, and if you have another video card laying around, no matter how old it is, try it.

and to fix it, you dont have to buy a whole new pc, you can fix it for under 60bux usd, just find a new socket A that is compatible with your setup if it can not boot.

also, check every cable connection, i mean everything, and try unplugging the power from your harddrives to see if its a power problem.

i doubt that a solder could of came loose, but it could happen. dont see why that would not make it boot, unless something is shorting on the back, which is why im suggesting removing it from the case, to check if anything is behind the motherboard and also so you can inspect the board for damage.

Thanks. I'm gonna try to get around to it tonight. If not I'll do it tommorow after work. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom