is it possible to get a faster connection over 100.0 Mbps on the internet or network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
title is my question, n im just curious, because i hate having slow internet connection to games online, especially playing BF2142.

also got another question, is it a good idea to change routers from 802.11g to n to get faster access to the internet? I want to use wireless later in the future, and a wireless internet adapter that can support both g n n.

Re: is it possible to get a faster connection over 100.0 Mbps on the internet or netw

802.11g is 54Mbits, thats more than your downlink speed...depending on your service, what speed are you getting?

Re: is it possible to get a faster connection over 100.0 Mbps on the internet or netw

802.11g is 54Mbits, thats more than your downlink speed...depending on your service, what speed are you getting?

100.0 Mbps on this computer, same as my own PC *which is broken*, im not too familiar with the network n internet access, just only the computer itself i understand.

you dont know your service or your internet speed?

You CAN upgrade from 802.11g to 802.11n but I can almost give you a certain answer that it will do NOTHING to effect your internet speed. Internet speed is GENERALLY less than 10 Meg, while WIRED LAN is 100 - 1000 Meg, depending on your hardware.

Out of curiousity, how do these SAME games play in single player... I would suspect most of your trouble might be with the ATi 9200 video card. I rebuilt a PC for someone recently that had a 9250, and it could barely run The Sims 2.

you dont know your service or your internet speed?

hmm no, but i just checked, im using a D-Link VoIP, light over 10m n 100m, i am also using LinkSYS cable/DSL router, a NetGear 802.11g router, n another Surfboard cable router *lol i know stupid huh?*.

i just checked out that link u gave me, the results that came out is this:

Says "1539 kb/s - Download, 99 kb/s - Upload"
"Latency: 725ms
Server: Los Angeles, CA
Distance: ~ 50ml"

You CAN upgrade from 802.11g to 802.11n but I can almost give you a certain answer that it will do NOTHING to effect your internet speed. Internet speed is GENERALLY less than 10 Meg, while WIRED LAN is 100 - 1000 Meg, depending on your hardware.

Out of curiousity, how do these SAME games play in single player... I would suspect most of your trouble might be with the ATi 9200 video card. I rebuilt a PC for someone recently that had a 9250, and it could barely run The Sims 2.

well, i USED to play BF2142 when my computer was working, but i OCed my eVGA 6600 LE a little high, killing it 1/27/07, but for some reason can still be read when booting *Driver version, 256mb, etc.*. I cant run BF2142 with ATI 9200, it's broken...........long story short, i disabled my graphics card by accident, n my computer wont boot. I'm already trying to get help in another thread in 'Windows Operating System & Software' section.

^^ That sounds kind of slow to me...

Mine on a USB wireless adapter through 4 walls is 5000kb d/l and 1920kb u/l.

How are you plugged in? hardwire or wireless? Either way ,it should be faster, your latency is bad too, 725ms...mine's like 10 at max?

^^ That sounds kind of slow to me...

Mine on a USB wireless adapter through 4 walls is 5000kb d/l and 1920kb u/l.

How are you plugged in? hardwire or wireless? Either way ,it should be faster, your latency is bad too, 725ms...mine's like 10 at max?

well that is the thing.........i dont fully understand it myself, but ill try to describe how it's set up.

the LinkSYS is a cable/DSL router, 10m n 100m, n it's only connected to the wall in a port*where u set up where to get internet n stuff, plugs everywhere kind of thing*, the NETGEAR router has 5 plugs n 4 r plugged in the wall in 4 separate ports, 2 of them show that they r working, one is plugged into the D-Link VoIP Gateway in the WAN, n the SurfBoard has a TV-like cord to it, n also is connected to the D-Link VoIP Gateway in the Ethernet port. D-Link VoIP Gateway shows that connection speed, or whatever, is 10m n 100m.

im sry if i cant describe to u guys more, like i said, i dont know much about the network or internet access, just the computer itself.

ill be at RCC until 3:30pm my time so ill be back around 4pm-ish.

Sorry, it's hard for me to understand still exactly what you're talking about up there.

How much stuff is on the network entirely? Multiple ports are being used you mentioned, for other PC's or peripheral devices I assume???

What exactly do you want out of your question lol...faster internet overall for your machine? Or an upgrade in connection speed. 802.11g is 54mbps and the standard nowadays...won't get much better than that unless you go gigabit 1000mbps hardwired...which is "connected" at that, but you won't see that speed. For sure.

Also, having VOIP on your internet line is KILLING your bandwidth I bet, especially with 700+ms.... The way VOIP is, the VOIP packets get the highest priority, so all other traffic is delayed when the phone is in use... might want to look into upgrading your internet speed.

I couldn't follow the description of your network... See if you can use MS Paint, and make a small .jpg file of your network topology, with boxes and lines... the boxes being the hardware devices (with hardware model numbers_ and the lines being the wires....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom