CPU Temperature runs at 60c while IDLE and up to 80c

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungleland

Baseband Member
While at idle, I see my CPU temperature at about 55-60c and under heavier load it goes up to 80c, my system temp runs at about 35 to 40c on average..

I have a Zalman cooling fan and using artic silver compound

I am even leaving the case cover off and letting all the air out and that's not working. I can't get my temp down, I had the stock heatsink that came with the CPU and I saw I was running very hot so I got the zalman, and it's pretty much the same thing.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium 955x chipset
PENTIUM D 3ghz
2gb pc6400 OCZ XTC platinum
600W Enermax Noisetaker II EG701AX-VE(W) (Revision 2.2)
MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS

hmmm, well, what program are you using to monitor temps?

Try everest and speedfan or something, easy to aquire, and they are fairly accurate. That really doesnt sound right, so if those agree with w/e program you are using, then your CPU must be faulty or something

Either that or the mobo's temp readings are? Try touching yoru heat sink to see how hot that thing is, it'll give you a fairly accurate reading, lol

hmmm, well, what program are you using to monitor temps?

Try everest and speedfan or something, easy to aquire, and they are fairly accurate. That really doesnt sound right, so if those agree with w/e program you are using, then your CPU must be faulty or something

Either that or the mobo's temp readings are? Try touching yoru heat sink to see how hot that thing is, it'll give you a fairly accurate reading, lol

both the BIOS and Asus AI Booster give me those readings...

Ok, using EVEREST it shows my temp at 71c (CPU) and 41c (for my MB) my GPU temp is 64 and my HD temp is 36, fan speed is 3.8 (3800rpm?)

oouch. hmmmm, well i cant say for sure whats going on there, lol, sounds nasty. Applied the arctic silver right?

Your mobo aint too hot, but ****, your cpu aint pretty, hehe, i really dont know what to do hey, hmmm, my only guess, and this is exactly that, just a guess, is either A. something wrong with heat sink install. B. Something wrong with mobo so it is giving out false readings. The only way to eliminate B is to either find an answer, or check manually by touch while comp is running or something, cant turn it off then try, it loses heat real quick, well, if it is working =P

You should keep this bumped or something until someone answers yoru post with certainty cause I would be worried about my CPU if it were doing that.

oouch. hmmmm, well i cant say for sure whats going on there, lol, sounds nasty. Applied the arctic silver right?

Your mobo aint too hot, but ****, your cpu aint pretty, hehe, i really dont know what to do hey, hmmm, my only guess, and this is exactly that, just a guess, is either A. something wrong with heat sink install. B. Something wrong with mobo so it is giving out false readings. The only way to eliminate B is to either find an answer, or check manually by touch while comp is running or something, cant turn it off then try, it loses heat real quick, well, if it is working =P

You should keep this bumped or something until someone answers yoru post with certainty cause I would be worried about my CPU if it were doing that.

I'm pretty sure I did the compound correctly, I followed the steps on artic silvers website. It seems to be quite the delicate process. I can see temps down in the 45c range, but that's under ZERO load and when my ROOM temperature is quite low and I have the case open...

I have a vga card slot cooler and two case fans coming in in a few days, I was I hoping I could use those and that would allow me to finally close the case on my box and I could get some peace and quiet...

You could try reinstalling the heatsink, just to make sure. Or maybe, on what Sydzy said....faulty readings.

You said you have two case fans coming in a few days? So right now, you don't have any case fans? That might be another reason why it's hot.

You could try reinstalling the heatsink, just to make sure. Or maybe, on what Sydzy said....faulty readings.

You said you have two case fans coming in a few days? So right now, you don't have any case fans? That might be another reason why it's hot.

I only have the heatsink, and the two fans on the PSU. I have removed the heatsink a bunch of times and cleaned and re applied the compound, same results..

OK, so maybe theres something wrong with the motherboard sensor, giving out faulty temps. Or because you don't have any case fans. Can you feel the heatsink, if it's really hot?

OK, so maybe theres something wrong with the motherboard sensor, giving out faulty temps. Or because you don't have any case fans. Can you feel the heatsink, if it's really hot?

I'm not sure how I can FEEL the difference between 70c and 50c (about 30 degrees Fahrenheit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom