Physics processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

small256

In Runtime
Hey all

I was wondering, do you need a full Sli setup before you can use a physx card? As in dual GPUs and then a PPU as well or do you need one GPU and one PPU?

Or do you think that by the time most games really need that much physics processing NVIDIA and ATI will have sorted out on-board PPUs anyway?

What with crysis coming out sometime in the future I thought i'd look into it all now and save myself some time later on. This isn't saying I want a Physx card, just a bit of research.

If you did the aforementioned 'research' you'd notice that they've already become obsolete and NVidia has em on board as standard these days.

Yeah i actually just did that on wiki after I posted... Just wanted to see people's views on it anyway.

ya, the quantum physics technology on newer dx 10 cards is the phsyx card, so get ur self like an 8500, 8600 gts, or gt or an 8800 gts, gtx and save urself a lot of cash

yeah i'm getting an 8800gts (as well as the rest of the kit, obviously not getting an 8 series with my current rig :p). I was just wondering how the set up actually works with a physx card.

is that an AGP? cuz Nvidia has released AGP versions of the 8500, 8600 geforces...

no it's pci. like i said, i'm not getting it for my current rig. it'll be for an e6600, asus p5n e sli, 2gb g.skill pc2 6400 NR series, silverstone zeus 520w (which isn't sli i know, but i'll upgrade then when i need to) and a segate barracuda 200gb.
so i don't need an AGP card!

nah that's cool because i'm buying a new mobo as well. new mobo, new processor, new gfx card, everything really. gonna cost me about £640 altogether.
thanks for looking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom