Question for installing XP..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rune20

Solid State Member
Right now i have a Windows 2000 operating system and need XP. I was wondering if i could install the operating system itself and not the "Upgrade" version, but would all of my programs and files still be on the disk? Or will they be overwritten/deleted when I install the os?

Thanks

You're out of luck. A full install will wipe out your stuff. Be sure to back up your data first. you'd have to reinstall your programs anyway.

you could buy the upgrade cd and do a clean install, after you backed up your data of course, just formst the hd first and then when installing it it says to enter another windows os disk to verify that you are elegible for the upgrade and then it will do a clean install instead, this only works if you have any other windows cd than the one you are trying to install

Hello,

I thought you can use a retail Windows XP installation CD to perform an upgrade, as well as a clean install, by running the installation when booted into the current operating system.

Hello,

I thought you can use a retail Windows XP installation CD to perform an upgrade, as well as a clean install, by running the installation when booted into the current operating system.

I don't think it's worth doing this operation, cause errors and several problems are more likely to occur this way, because both OS will mix a bit.

I don't think it's worth doing this operation, cause errors and several problems are more likely to occur this way, because both OS will mix a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I entirely agree with you. Wasn't a suggestion, just a thought.

I don't think you can do a direct upgrade from 2K to XP. I believe you have to format and install fresh.

but you can use the upgrade cd instead ofthe more expensive retail or oem cd wich is cheaper, you just need another windows os disk

Superdave1984 you can do a direct upgrade from 98/NT4+SP6/ME/WIN2k to XP.

TheEnd187 is right an upgrade copy is the cheapest route to go.

Performing an upgrade isn't the way to go unless you're completely sure there aren't any infections viruses, spyware, etc. You'd also have to remove your anti-virus software. It should tell you which programs will conflict in the upgrade process though.

For the best results definitely just backup your files and wipe the drive. Things will run much smoother.

ok well i bought the upgrade version and the disc installed it right there. Everything seems to be working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom