Maxtor: The Worst Hard Drives Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
Maxtor sucks. EVERY hard drive I have bought from them doesn't work anymore and the last one caught fire, almost burning my room down. I didn't even bother sending it in for a new one to avoid future problems.

I did some research and apparently EVERY single person (that I spoke to) who has had problems with there HDD had a Maxtor. There was not one person who complained about the Western Digital. Some even had them for up to 10 yrs with out problems.

Does anyone know why the hell Maxtor is so unreliable? :dead:
And they have balls to claim that they are the leaders in hdd technology... They should be selling there HDDs as explosives.

I have a Maxtor and a WD working together, suppose that halfs the load. Haven't had any problems with mine.

mines fine..going on 2 years in august i believe...maybe the inside of your computer is to hot..and thats wy they catch fire...try a hard drive cooler

I haven't owned a Maxtor, but I have had a WD that went bad on me. 80 G drive, had it in the computer for maybe 3 months when the BIOS started reporting bad smart status. RMA'd it, and got a new one sent to me before I had to send the old one back. Heads must have been going bad, because I couldn't get all of my stuff of the old hard drive. I was royally p***ed off. I haven't had any problems with the new drive, yet, and I've had it about 4 months.

i have a 120 gb seagate, a 60 gb maxtor, and a cute little 4 gb maxtor from an old pentium 2, i use it to transfer stuff...

I have a Maxtor 80gig and a WD 40 gig in both of my towers. I'm a firm beliver in WD's, but they came with the Maxtors. But I haven't had a problem (knock on simulated wood grain) with my maxtor's so far.

I also got a MAxtor but nothing wrong, maybe the MAxtor u brought too sensitive.

I've had a couple old maxtors go bad. and a seagate scsi of mine is going out. never had a problem with WD though.

agex000 said:
Maxtor sucks. EVERY hard drive I have bought from them doesn't work anymore and the last one caught fire, almost burning my room down. I didn't even bother sending it in for a new one to avoid future problems.

I did some research and apparently EVERY single person (that I spoke to) who has had problems with there HDD had a Maxtor. There was not one person who complained about the Western Digital. Some even had them for up to 10 yrs with out problems.

Does anyone know why the hell Maxtor is so unreliable? :dead:
And they have balls to claim that they are the leaders in hdd technology... They should be selling there HDDs as explosives.

Funny, I have never had any problems with Maxtor. I think this issue is with another hardware device, such as a power supply or motherboard.. Those are the devices that route power and data to the HDD. If they are doing it incorrectly you suffer the consequences. I have however sent back about 3 WD HDDs due to sector damage. I will never purchase another WD HDD again. There is a reason why they are priced lower.. Also, Maxtor happens to have a three year warrantee, which WD drives do not.

Just my 2 cents..

Regards,
Chaos

BTW- This sytem has a 30GB Maxtor HDD that is about 5 years old. It shows no signs of quitting yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom