Status
Not open for further replies.

adamussg

Solid State Member
asus as7333 motherboard
athlon 1.67 ghz processor
windows xp sp2
512 mb ram

I made an idiotic stupid mistake. I attempted to add ram to my computer without knowing if it was the proper stick or not. I attempted to boot it after installing the ram and I got nothing but beeps from my motherboard. I figured it wouldn't work. I removed the ram and rebooted. My motherboard continued to give me steady beeps and would not boot. I reseated my original ram and plugged everything back in and hoped for the best. Now my computer will not boot, and does nothing but give me a steady beep. I tried unplugging power to motherboard and plugging back in, removing battery and plugging back in.It will not boot. CAn anyone tell me what I destroyed and how I can get my computer running again? Thanks.

The first thing to do there is make sure the memory is seated down properly and not lifted in the slot. If you mishandled the original memory you have damaged it but not having the meomory seated properly would easily cause the alarm beeps to sound.

Also, if the new RAM was incompatible withe the RAM slot, u mite have damaged the actual RAM slot. unlikely but possible. Try getting a freinds ram and installing that in your computer, and see if it boots then.

Also, if the new RAM was incompatible withe the RAM slot, u mite have damaged the actual RAM slot. unlikely but possible. Try getting a freinds ram and installing that in your computer, and see if it boots then.

I'm going to but a new stick of ram today and try that. It makes no sense to me though cuz my original ram should still work right? The beeps I am getting are one short repetative beep over and over which suggests memory failure. I guess my original proper ram must have taken a dump. Anyone know exactly which ram I need to get? Would it be 184 pin pc 2100? I'm gonna look online now and try to figure it out. Thanks

check my post about using the primary ram slot. (its on your other post of this same topic)

Printed out mobo manual. States run is pins 2-3 and reset is pins 1-2. Tried inserting ram.... unplugging, removing battery, switching jumper, replacing battery, and rebooting. Same response from mobo. Intermittent beep spaced evenly which suggests memory failure right? What would my next step be? I tried with both my sticks of ram (one at a time) and one of them is brand new. Itried both in each of the three slots. Would my next step be to pull mobo and search for damage to ram slots? Anyone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom