Computer freezes, won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzvii

Baseband Member
I have recently(2 weeks ago?) replaced a fried motherboard. My computer been working perfectly since then until now.

I was playing Linerider, and was getting a track from someone. I put the track in, and started and then my computer froze. I tried restarting it, and it wouldn't get passed the splash screen(It says Gigabyte in big letters and won't get passed that). I waiting like an hour, and tried again. It started fine then a few minutes later it froze again, and same thing happened. I left it overnight, tried in the morning, same thing. Then after school I tried booting into safe mode, it also froze a few minutes later.
Anyone know whats wrong? I don't think that it's overheating, because for the few minutes it stayed on I checked the temps and the cpu was sitting at 40-42c and the case about 25c

Reset the CMOS. Also try removing any extra hardware you've installed. see if that solves the problem then put the hardware back in one at a time.

What does resetting the cmos do? I don't mean how will it fix it, I mean what will it change? Also, could you give me a link to where it says how? Or I think I saw how in the mobo manual... I'll check.

Looked in manual, it shows two ways: Short the two pins or take out the battery for a few minutes. Which should I do? And I do short the pins when the computer is on or off?

When you reset the CMOS, it clears all the custom BIOS setting back to the manufactures default settings. Often on setting can cause system instability.

Yes, follow the manual's directions. You do this when the computer is off, and unplug the power cord. Take out the battery, slider the jumper over one pin, keep the jumper there for a few seconds, then replace it back to the orginal pins, and replace the battery. Thats how you reset the CMOS.

If you had any custom settings in the BIOS you will have to reenter them.

I was reading over this thread a second time, and saw that you replaced your motherboard. Was it with the same exact version and manufacturer you had before? If not, did you wipe your drive and install windows? Often when you change motherboards, there are a lot of differences between hardware and on board settings. If you dont reinstall windows you can run into problems with stability and such.

I was reading over this thread a second time, and saw that you replaced your motherboard. Was it with the same exact version and manufacturer you had before? If not, did you wipe your drive and install windows? Often when you change motherboards, there are a lot of differences between hardware and on board settings. If you dont reinstall windows you can run into problems with stability and such.

It's with the exact same version and manufacture, I had just sent it in for a replacement(Still under warrenty)

I didn't reinstall windows, but just reset the CMOS. That did the trick for like 2 days, then I started getting a bunch of BSOD errors.. I'm re-installing Vista right now, hopefully that will fix the BSOD's.

It's with the exact same version and manufacture, I had just sent it in for a replacement(Still under warrenty)

I didn't reinstall windows, but just reset the CMOS. That did the trick for like 2 days, then I started getting a bunch of BSOD errors.. I'm re-installing Vista right now, hopefully that will fix the BSOD's.

You could of gotten a different revision of your motherboard. A reinstall should be a safe bet on fixing the problem.

Reinstalled Windows, and now I'm back to the original problem. It randomly restarts, and won't get passed the splash screen. I tried reseting CMOS again, but that didn't help this time.
I could just send everything back to Newegg (Everything is still under warranty, except for the processor which still has Intel's warrenty) and just get everything replaced. But then I have to pay shipping, and it's just a big hassle. Still open to any suggestions as to what to do.

Edit: Just realized I forgot to install mobo drivers. I'm installling them now. Hopefully that will fix it. (Onboard LAN might be what was messing up. I think one of the blue screens was an error with something like tcpip.sys)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom