Abnormal CPU usage spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meithan

Daemon Poster
This problem happens occasionally and I have been unable to pinpoint its cause or find a solution (other than rebooting). From time to time I start getting periodic CPU usage spikes, which temporarily freeze my computer (mouse unable to move) for a brief moment (a second or so). Opening the task manager, I get this:

spikeskr8.jpg

The spikes are reported to rise up to 15-17% of total cpu capacity, but only on one of the cores. However, because the mouse (and everything else) freezes during such events, I believe they actually reach 100% of cpu usage, but the task manager doesn't update fast enough to register it.

The logical step after seeing these spikes was to check the process list, of course. I did so, and could not see any process significantly consuming cpu usage during the spikes. I selectively killed the processes one by one, seeing if the spikes stopped afterwards. In the end, I killed all processes not critical to Windows operation, but the spikes remained. Here's the list after doing that:

processescn5.jpg

As you can see only system processes remain. So the problem is either with one of these, or an invisible process that the task manager cannot detect. (The process at the top is the Idle process, by the way).

Also, there's a possibility the spikes are related to failure of wireless connection. I just recently switched from normal to wireless internet connection, and I get occasional but complete losses of signal. Now, I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that the CPU spikes have appeared a minute or so before such disconnections.

Any ideas? I usually just reboot when it happens, which is not a terrible thing, but I'm curious as to what it could be.

My old wireless card used to do that, but not that bad... sometimes a virus will do it too... not really sure though. Does your sound sometimes lag really bad like if you do something (Ex. Open a large webpage, Open a program)?

It just happened again just now. The spikes started, then about 10 seconds later I lost my wireless connection. I "repaired" it, and the spikes stopped when the connection was restored. I think there's definitely a relation between the two.

And no, I usually don't lag at all... it's a recent thing that kind of started when I went wireless (but I'm not sure of this, although the recent events do seem to confirm it).

It's definitely a virus, why should it stuck in 16% CPU usage? Except if.......

What's the ram's usage? Ram exceeded limit usage makes problems like this.

Ram usage is normal. I've got 1GB, it's more than enough for Windows apps.

It's not a virus. I'm now convinced the problem is related to the wireless connection. Every time the spikes appear, I get disconnected a few moments later (30 seconds or so).

So apparently when the wireless signal starts fading, something tries to get it back, and this causes the CPU spikes ... bad driver programming or something.

So I am assuming youve searched for an updated driver/firmware for the wireless card or router?

Maybe reinstall.. (The card and driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom