Batch Image Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LADUDE2005

Baseband Member
Does anyone know of a good Batch image editing program? I'm looking for one that I can edit large volumes of images. I dont have time to sit and edit each photo one by one.

what kind of editing is it? photoshop seems to fit the description

Photoshop is actually the worst program you could use something like this.

Look into Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture. I prefer Lightroom myself, but that doesn't mean Aperture is junk.

Avoid Adobe Bridge, it's less than worthless for anything but batch renaming and keywording.

Photoshop was, and will never be designed to work with more than a few images at a time. If all you need to do to say, color correct 200 images what would you do with photoshop? You would have to open up each one and do them individually. Just think how long that would take, and it's only 200 images! Not only that, but photoshop is destructive. You have to go through a million steps to not destroy your image. That slows you down and can create confusion for when you need to undo something.

Or you can open them up in a RAW workflow program and do all your levels, curves, brightness/contrast, hue/saturation, Grayscale mixing, etc, all simultaneously with 200 images in about 20 minutes tops. If the lighting was completely different for each image, than yes of course it's going to take longer, but it still will be a drastically shorter amount of time. And guess what, Good RAW workflow programs are completely nondestructive. They just do instruction sets over the image instead of actually changing the image itself like in photoshop.

Photoshop can do alot of things, but it can't do everything. As a photographer, CS2 is the last program I use when I'm doing post-production. The other 80% of my workflow is done in Lightroom and other misc. programs.

Photoshop was, and will never be designed to work with more than a few images at a time. If all you need to do to say, color correct 200 images what would you do with photoshop? You would have to open up each one and do them individually. Just think how long that would take, and it's only 200 images! Not only that, but photoshop is destructive. You have to go through a million steps to not destroy your image. That slows you down and can create confusion for when you need to undo something.

Or you can open them up in a RAW workflow program and do all your levels, curves, brightness/contrast, hue/saturation, Grayscale mixing, etc, all simultaneously with 200 images in about 20 minutes tops. If the lighting was completely different for each image, than yes of course it's going to take longer, but it still will be a drastically shorter amount of time. And guess what, Good RAW workflow programs are completely nondestructive. They just do instruction sets over the image instead of actually changing the image itself like in photoshop.

Photoshop can do alot of things, but it can't do everything. As a photographer, CS2 is the last program I use when I'm doing post-production. The other 80% of my workflow is done in Lightroom and other misc. programs.

Couldn't you just make an action where you do the color correction, then selection the next image? Just play it through for the pics. Doesn't seem very hard.

Couldn't you just make an action where you do the color correction, then selection the next image? Just play it through for the pics. Doesn't seem very hard.

OK, so you open your image of say, a white balance card in photoshop. You make your curves, Levels, basic color correction adjustments in it and record your actions. You open your second image and clean up what that initial action didn't do, or possibly going back and reopening that first image to fix something you accidentally did, all this using and creating layers, masks, and oh my god blah blah blah

Now you need to open up all other 198 images and do that to each one individually. Open one, do your corrections, save it as another image, close it, move on to the next, wash, rinse, and repeat. It would still take you hours. Someone in Lightroom/Aperture can do the exact same thing in less than 5 minutes (if it was shot with similar lighting, like in a studio), and save possibly GIGABYTES worth of hard disk space by doing non-destructive instruction-sets that are saved into a single, small library. If you need to use photoshop, no biggie. Just export into any directory you want and Lightroom will automatically launch CS2 so you can make your fine, complex adjustments. I'm not sure about Bibble, i've never used it.

I think anyone can agree with me, attempting batch image edit in photoshop is just dumb, and a big ol' waste of time. And i'm talking about only 200 images. That's NOTHING!

I've never used Lightroom or any of the others suggested....definitely curious about them tho

I was thinking more along the lines of doing something super simple like resizing 200 images...applying a resize action to one image and then applying that action to the rest of them.. That's easy and something photoshop can handle with out any problems...or at least that's my experience.

As far as color correction and all that other stuff...i'll trust the pro photographers when they say "Use Lightroom"...

I've never used Lightroom or any of the others suggested....definitely curious about them tho

I was thinking more along the lines of doing something super simple like resizing 200 images...applying a resize action to one image and then applying that action to the rest of them.. That's easy and something photoshop can handle with out any problems...or at least that's my experience.

As far as color correction and all that other stuff...i'll trust the pro photographers when they say "Use Lightroom"...

Yea, thats what I thought too. My bad Mr. Switch, my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom