Dell PEdge SC420 Memory Upgrade: PC2-4100? 4200? 5300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayfore

Beta member
Hello,

I'm just not sure of what I need, and can't seem to find any site that will tell me the difference between PC2-4100, 4200, and 5300. What are their speeds (in MHz), for example?

Dell says this about my computer:
System Memory
The four memory module connectors on the system board can accommodate from 256 MB to 4 GB of 400/533-MHz unbuffered ECC DDR II memory modules.

Memory Module Upgrade Kits
The system is upgradable to 4 GB by installing combinations of 256-MB, 512-MB, or 1-GB 400-MHz or 533-MHz unbuffered ECC DDR II memory modules.

NOTICE: If you remove your original memory modules from the system during a memory upgrade, keep them separate from any new memory modules that you may have, even if you purchased the new memory modules from Dell. Use only unregistered or unbuffered ECC DDR II memory modules.

I checked Crucial.com and they say that my machine can use DDR2 PC2-4200 or 5300 -- no mention of 4100. They also say that I can use ECC or non-ECC, though Dell says I need ECC. However, what I have in there now (according to their system scanner) is 2x1GB PC2-4100, and I believe it is non-ECC, brand is Corsair. It doesn't even look like Crucial sells that type (PC2-4100) at all.

I have 2 free slots that can handle 1GB each, and that's what I'm looking to get, but I just want to be sure that I make the best choice to maximize both performance and value. I am not a gamer, but I run Vista. The most taxing thing I do is run video editing software occasionally.

Any help that you experts can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jay

OK, I just did a live chat w/ a Crucial.com agent and asked these types of questions. This person said that PC2-4100/4200/4300 are all the exact same thing, and that they are 533 MHz. Said that PC2-5300 runs at 667 MHz.

So this means that I currently have a pair that is running at 533 MHz, and as long as I add another matched pair, that new pair can be PC2-5300, and I will have no problems... But should I bother w/ 5300? Will I get much performance gain, when what I currently have is 2 that are 4100?

Can anyone confirm, before I make my buying choice? Can anyone point me to any sites that would show me the best price for a given type of memory that I want to buy? Thank you! I just want maximize both performance and value.

Thanks Again!

If you get PC2-5300 ram, that runs at 667MHz, and put it with your current ram, it will just downclock to 533MHz, to match the 4100s.

Newegg.com is the place to check.

If you get PC2-5300 ram, that runs at 667MHz, and put it with your current ram, it will just downclock to 533MHz, to match the 4100s. Newegg.com is the place to check.
Thank you! What do you think about mixing the non-ECC I have with a pair of ECC?

I'm not sure about that. But I'm thinking they shouldn't be mixed. I could be wrong though. I'm sure somebody else here, will clear that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom