AMD overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

veg1992

Golden Master
I'm new to using AMD processors for overclocking and i've heard that they use unlocked multipliers...... is this true?

we should be so lucky. only the fx has an unlocked multiplier. now, you can lower it, but raise it above stock...nope.
aren't you getting a a 3600? it will have a multi of 9.5, so make sure you get a decent mobo that will handle a high external clock if you want to have good results.
did you decide on that t550?

actually i am thats y i was asking (u have a great memory man [hahahahaha realized the pun lol]) actually i was getting one of these Asus M2N-SLI (well i have one lying around so i'll use that) with some Mushkin Xtreme RAM 4-4-3-10 Latency lying around so no need for RAM i got 2 1 gb sticks

also help me plan to OC!! i'm afraid i may screw my 3600+ if i OC too much with too much of a voltage, with the e4300 i had no trouble as i copied Anandtech's test bed

actually i am thats y i was asking (u have a great memory man [hahahahaha realized the pun lol]) actually i was getting one of these Asus M2N-SLI (well i have one lying around so i'll use that) with some Mushkin Xtreme RAM 4-4-3-10 Latency lying around so no need for RAM i got 2 1 gb sticks

also help me plan to OC!! i'm afraid i may screw my 3600+ if i OC too much with too much of a voltage, with the e4300 i had no trouble as i copied Anandtech's test bed

those should work great. lemme know when you need help!

oh another thing i wanna use the stock AMD cooler for OC'ing my Brisbane, will it be able to hit 3 Ghz with it? or go ahead and buy the Monsoon II Lite CLT-M2LA AMD Air Cooler

So My Build Will Be As Follows:

- Sigma Gaming Orca (came with that PC i found in the garbage , u no the one with the MCE Disk in it {score!!!]
- CoolerMaster Unit 600 Watts eXtreme Power PSU
- AMD Athlonâ„¢64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9 Ghz
- Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 590 SLI
- Monsoon II Lite CLT-M2LA or Stock AMD Cooler
- Mushkin Xtreme 2 GB (1 GB X 2)
- XFX 7900 GS 256MB 16X PCI Express
- Western Digital Caviar 320GB or Seagate Barracuda 320 GB
- Sony 16X DVD ROM
- LG 18X DVD±R/±RW

So how will this OC?

goahead buy the better heatsinc and fan and use clockgen it is a good overclocking program and use pcwizard to monitor temps and find detailed info about your sys

dude that will overclock very nicely. it is very similar to my own, i still am staring at this evga 590 sli mobo...haven't installed it fully yet (i ran some tests on my 4200 though) for use with my 3600...but i am planning on doing it in the next couple days. i just had to see how far the ol abit nf4 would go, and it goes to 3ghz and gives up the ghost. not bad:)
i do agree to go ahead and get the aftermarket cooling. but really man, these things run so cool...you could use the stock hsf. but i think for peace of mind you should have one that is a little more efficient.
also, clockgen is okay for finding the limits of your system, but i never really liked using it...just something about that freeze-up i dont like.
although, i did use it (just to see, lol) how far my 3600 would go before bsod...3.3ghz not too shabby. unstable as f***, but that is about all clockgen is good for.
all in all it will be easy to oc your rig. as far as overclocking...there is a giant difference (for me anyway) going from a 4200 to the 3600. i got a 5-600 mhz max on my 4200...with a lot of hard work and CMOS resets haha, this wee thing gets 1000mhz EASY.

could i still hit 3.0 Ghz with a stock hsf? cuz i already have it, took it out of that MCE PC that i found, it was AM2 too and was a 3000+ (already parted the PC so don't ask) so should i spend the money on like more case fans for my case? (thats a given lol!!)

you will be able to hit 3.0 (most likely) with the stock cooler.
watch the temps.
i only have to increase the vcore to 1.35 to stabilize it at 3.0, so not a whole lot more heat is generated. just watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom