Vista Admin Account Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydzy

In Runtime
Hey,

So I'm the only user on my computer, the admin who set it up. I can do all that adminny stuff etc etc, anywho, vista is always trying to stop me doing things saying that I dont have enough privelages or something to do that. Like downloading files from the internet straight into somewhere in program files or something, allowing other programs to grab files and create directories etc, they error saying that my account doesnt have the privelages.

Wondering if there is a way to turn that **** protection off. I have already disabled user account controls so cancel/allow doesnt pop up anymore. I dont mind if it creates a security risk, my going insane with my computer while there are large kitchen knives and a kindergarten across the road is probably a bigger security risk.

Thanks all,
Sydz

Alvin. C that's not the problem, he must go to the programs' that prompt him full access. Right click --> Attributes --> Compartibility and tick the option 'Run this programm as an administrator' choose ok.

That is the UAC turned on. Go to the control panel and under user accounts. There turn off the UAC and then the security center will pop up telling you aobut it. Just click dont warn me about these messages and that will solve the problem.

@ Makaveli213

Yeah, I had already turned that off, thanks anyway

@ Alvin.C

Very sure. There is literally only 1 account on this computer, and it is mine. In account info section is lists me as the computer admin

@ mssssee2

This is weird..... I can right click and say run as admin, but I cant go in to compatibility and tick that box, it is greyed out.

Which Version of Vista? If you're on Business or Ultimate you could run gpedit.msc and go into Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>Security Options> and make sure User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode is disabled.

They claim that in Windows Home Premium will let you do this by running secpol.msc but on all the home premium machines i've been on secpol doesn't run which makes sense in my opion. That's why I said Business and Ultimate. Hope this helps.

Remember that cute "Administrator" account you see when you login to safe mode? That's the built-in administrator account that's installed by default, and disabled by default too, after a little digging-in I made this tutorial that'll let you enable and use this account in normal mode, and with a little other tweak, enjoying an XP-like administrator experience, while UAC is left ON (or off, it doesn't matter), but with no prompts or right clicks.

For Windows Vista Ultimate/Business/Enterprise:

1- Click Start, and type "secpol.msc" in the search area and click Enter. (You may receive a prompt from UAC, approve/login and proceed)
2- In the left list, choose "Local Policies", then "Security Options"
3- Set "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled.
4- Set "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" to Disabled.

For Windows Vista Home Basic/Home Premium:

1- Click Start, and type "cmd" in the search area, right click on "Command Prompt" and select 'Run as Administrator".

2- In the command prompt type "net users Administrator /active'" (Note the capital "A" in Administrator) and press Enter, you will get a confirmation as "The command completed successfully".

3- Click Start, and type "regedit" in the search area and click Enter, navigate to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]
Double click on "FilterAdministratorToken" and set it to "0"

Now log-off, and you'll see new account named "Administrator" is available, click on it to login.

Now you are the master of your domain! I recommend if you're going to use this method is to apply it as soon as you do a fresh install of Windows, so you can simply delete whatever administrator you've created in the setup process, and make this one the "real" administrator for your PC, also you can rename this new admin account or change its password like any other account from "User Accounts" in the Control Panel.

A last note: Please apply this procedures only if you know what you're doing. Disabling security features in the operating system is not something recommended to the average Joe, and for sure I won't be held accountable for any damaging happens to your system or files resulting from running a full administrator account all the time.

From Tantawi @ Neowin

I have posted this in the Vista thread. Maybe this will help you out.

Another thing to try is to edit the permissions. Make sure that your User Account has Full admin right. Computer>Properties>Security>Advanced>Edit. Add your account to the Admin rights and then give full permissions. That might also help you.

Followed that enabling admin account thing and that worked, well, actually I havent even tried using that, haha, cause i really really dont wanna have to try to set up all my settings again, just cant be bothered.

Tried to find that computer>properties>secutiry>advanced>edit stuff, but when i went porperties it went to the computer info page, all this stupid vista stuff. Went searching around for a while but cant find where you mean.

Was wondering, is there any way through regedit or something that I can basically transfer all my data and settings from this account to the admin account? or would i have to do it all manually...

You might be able to use the file and settings transfer wizard. I havent tried that before. That might work. OTher than that only thing you can do is copy and paste you Documents and settings folder over to the new Admin account. That might work. I ahvent tried either so i dont know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom