Identifying unreadable capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

edvosder

Baseband Member
I've found the bad components! They're two little black boxes side by side, and they're blown and have oozed a bit onto the board. How do i Identify them so that i can buy replacement components and solder them in, if i can't read the top of them because they're blown?

also, should I be suspecting that some other component caused them to blow?

Thanks!
-Matt

Yeah, there's no way this is under warranty. It's a dell insiron 4150 board, i don't see an actual serial number on the board anywhere. I've been trying to find schematics online, but since i'm new to the whole component-level thing, i don't even know if that will tell me what I need to know.

What i'm wondering now is if it would be possible to identify their specifications using a multimeter. Each of the bad components has two contact points on the board, so I assume that they're capacitors (also because they're oozing), and i wonder if i could take multimeter readings in order to determine their specifications. They work sometimes, so maybe if i took periodic measurements, and then took my highest readings and rounded up?

there aren't any numbers on top of the capacitors , theres either a black or navy blue cover around the capacitor which tells you how much volts it uses and etc. If cant identify it then look at other working capacitors that are same size and diameter. Dell wont fix that kind of problem, if its under warranty they will replace the motherboard, but if you don't have any warranty you will have to look at different motherboards to find matching capacitors. you wont find the same capacitors in Radio Shack or any where else so dont bother looking for them in stores. Trust me i went through the same hassle.

I just went on ebay and bought a dead inspiron 4150 board. I'll pull the capacitors off of that when it gets here, thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom