How to Open a Index.Dat File.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just open it in notepad. It will pop up the info and allow you to edit it. Make sure when you save it that its a .dat file and not .txt

I did what you said bla!!, but it didn't give me an option of saving it as a dat file. Is it possible to delete the index.dat file?
heavywx, would that index.dat reader allow me to do those things?

bla!! said:
Just open it in notepad. It will pop up the info and allow you to edit it. Make sure when you save it that its a .dat file and not .txt

I dont' think you can just use Notepad to view those files.

Windows uses those *.dat files as part of the system files and is hidden by default. ZhengHe, there are plenty of freeware avialable on the internet to view those *.dat files - do a google search on DAT file viewer.

You can at least delete index.dat by browsing to C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files in winrar and deleting content.ie5 from there. It'll end up in the recycle bin - after a reboot there will be a new content.ie5 folder and you'll be allowed to delete the old one from the recycle bin.

You can open a copy of the index.dat file with wordpad if you hold ctrl and drag the index.dat file from the winrar folder browser to your desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom