Some help building a gaming computer please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duzenbury

Beta member
So I am pretty new to computers (and these forums), and I was wanting to build a decent gaming computer for FPS's and SWG and of course the new C&C (also to be used for school, and some light photo/video editing/recording) I think I know some parts I want... any advice or suggestions would be amazing.

Im looking to spend below 2000 dollars on my computer, and im looking for a HD monitor that can double as my TV (20in Wide I think) and work with and Xbox 360 Elite (using the HDMI or what ever that is... sorry I dont know very much)

Heres what im thinking I may order (Im sorry I dont know much technically, sorry if I get anything wrong :

-CPU- AMD ADA5600IAA6CZ AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Dual core AMD? or Intel core 2 duo?)

-Motherboard- Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE

-Video Cards- eVGA 512-P2-N635-AR EVGA nVidia GeForce 7950GT KO 512MB x2 (SLI mode)

-Memory- OCZ Technology OCZ2N10662GK OCZ PC2-8500 2GB(2X1024)

-Hard Drive- Western Digital 150GB SATA 10000RPM (should I get Raid 0 with 2 36.7GB hard drives and then buy a data hard drive?)

-Power Supply- OCZ MODXSTREAM OCZ900MXS 900W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

-OS- Windows Vista Home Premium

Thats what I've got so far, I know I need a case, and some sort of cooling system (water cooling? if its not too expensive) a modem, network card, and a few other things I've probably left out.

Anything you all could help me with would be great, thanks :)

First thing, with your budget, I would RECOMMEND getting Intel Core 2 CPU.
Second, you might want to consider an 8800GTS over the 7950GT. It is only about $50ish more....
Newegg.com - PNY VCG88GTS32XPB GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

As far as the WD Raptor goes, I personally would get the smallest raptor available, use that for the OS, and then get a 500 or 750 GB drive for data storage. (OK, I lied, personally, I wouldn't buy WD, I would just get a single Seagate drive, as I do now, and use a network drive for file storage.)

As far as a case goes, look into getting an ATX case.

Last thing, don't bother with a modem, unless you don't have broadband service, and the network card is bulit into most motherboards now (unless you are going wireless).

Good luck with the build.

ooo yay a high budget build i get bored with all the low budget ones lol

Mobo: Abit Aw9D-max
Cpu: e6600
Ram g-skill 2x1gb hz (black ones)
hdd: 2x seagate barracuda 320gb (raid 0)
psu: 550W coolermaster ( your one is way too much wattage)
gfx: evga 8800Gts 320mb ( use the step up program if you find that this is not powerfull enough for you that way you just pay the difference)
Os: Windows xp mce ( all the goodies of pro for cheap and it has a media interface add on which can be quite useful) (vista is buggy and if your going to get vista get ultimate)
Case: Any with good cooling good brands: thermaltake. lian li and antec
Monitor: viewsonic VX2235 (if you have an ipod then the VX2245) you can use a dvi-hdmi conversion cable for your xbox

off the top of my head this is probably 1,500

Thanks ethereal and saltynay, I dont think I am actually going to build it myself... I'll probably order the parts using PriceWatch.com to find places with low prices

Im wondering, is that ordering two evga 8800Gts 320mb cards and using SLI or just a single card?

That is with a SINGLE 8800GTS card... the 8800GTS single card will out-perform a 7950GT in SLi mode. The performance gain with SLI is not DOUBLING your power, it is merely improving what you already have by a few percent.

thanks

I cant find anywhere on the net anything about the Ram g-skill 2x1gb hz (black ones)

any help?

also it seems that for another 100 dollars I can get a evga 8800Gts 640mb

should I do that instead?

Actually even at 1600x1200 it really isn't a large performance increase from 320...it's really the largest past that. I wouldn't really even get 640 for 1600x1200 right now but if you have the cash it's pretty nice.

I can get this for $2,235 (with Logitech G15 Keyboard, and Logitech gaming mouse) from CyberPowerPC.com

is it worth it compared to the system saltynay said?

CASE: ($10 off Mail-in Rebate) Raidmax Sagitta Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side Panel Window (BLACK COLOR)
CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlonâ„¢64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)MSI K9N SLI Platinum nForce 570 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID MBoard w/ Dual 16x PCI-Express
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (($40 off Mail-In Rebate) Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
VIDEO CARD: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
LCD Monitor: ViewSonic VX2245WM 22& quot; Wide Color TFT Active Matrix LCD Display Monitor
HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (73GB (36.7GBx2) Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10, 000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD360ADFD)
Data Hard Drive: 320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom