Building A New PC - Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antz.

Baseband Member
Ok, so im building a new Pc because my current one is a piece of crap. This is what I had in mind:

Case:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Cases-power-supplies/Cases/auction-97028277.htm

Mobo, Cpu And Ram:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Motherboards/auction-97795736.htm

Hdd:

Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB SATA II 7200RPM 8MB Cache :: Elive - New Zealand's Online Computer Store

Dvd Writer:

LG GSA-H42L 18X +/- Dual Layer LIGHT SCRIBE BLACK RETAIL :: Elive - New Zealand's Online Computer Store

Dvd Reader:

Samsung 16xDVD Drive Black OEM Pack :: Elive - New Zealand's Online Computer Store

Video Card:

XFX Geforce 7600GS AGP 256MB GDDR2 8X S-Video :: Elive - New Zealand's Online Computer Store

PSU:

Atrix 500W Extreme Power w/ CLEAR BLUE CASE & fan :: Elive - New Zealand's Online Computer Store

Yes, No, Maybe????

If not please can you have a look around Elive - New Zealand's Online Computer Store if you have the time. Here is my budget:

Case:

$130.00

Hdd:

$105.00

Mobo, CPU And Ram:

$370.00 (I know its not good but I will upgrade when I get more money)

DVD Writer:

$75.00

DVD Reader:

$40.00

Video Card:

$240.00 (PCI-Express)

PSU:

$60.00

It's all in NZD and thats my countrys currency so no need to convert. USD is just over 2 times as much if you were wondering. Thanks in advance for your help and I hope I will enjoy these forums!

NOTE: THIS PC WILL MOSTLY BE USED FOR BATTLEFIELD 2, HALF LIFE 2, CS SOURCE.

ubuntu I am running it now great os don't forget to install beryl it is a visulisation manager like aero for windows.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

then you need to download the .iso and burn it to a CD>>>> turn of your computer go to the bios change the boot priority save and put the disk in. The Cd is a live-cd so you can run the entire os off the cd without it touching your hardrive until you decide to install it then its just the usual os setup.

you need to update as soon as you have installed as there are around 25 updates per day for me atleast

Pentium D's are rubbish get a core2duo instead and the fact that they don't name the ram brand isn't a good sign also the motherboard could be better. Personally I prefer seagate barracuda hdd's as they are fast, cheap and a 5 year warranty

hello

i would scrap the mobo ram cpu selection and get a good mobo to start with. i've heard the gigabyte 965P is nice (177$ via elive). get yourself a low end processor such as a pentium D or pentium 4? (i'm a noob too) :)

for gaming i've heard AMD is good, but if you want to upgrade to a C2D you'll need an intel mobo. all intel's use the 775 slot anyway so you're covered regardless- just make sure it's compatable

i think if you've got a DVD writer you don't need a DVD reader....
use a tiny hard drive and copy data to discs until you can afford to upgrade....

i didn't see a ram description, but kingston is good. 1 gigabyte of g.skill is 97 and people always recommend it (i got corsair ballistix)

i've never heard of Atrix. my only advice is get something reliable. Thermaltake, Enermax, Antec, etc... if your power supply is crap the whole system is for naught :(

the video card sounds nice, but expensive for what it's offering
PCI-E XFX 7600 GS 256 Mb is listed at 180...

plan for the future buddy :)
an 8800 series card... a core 2 duo cpu.... more ram... a larger hard drive... a reliable power supply and a good case for all of it :)

J.

the motherboard/ram/cpu is exactly the same ....

you will get much better performance buying these:

mobo: Asus p5b series, Gigabyte Ds3 series or for a non budget alternative a Abit AW9D-max
cpu: Core 2 duo range the e6320, 6420, e6600 are the best (unless your on a low budget then you will want an amd system with a amd athlon4200x2 or 3600x2)
Ram: 2x1gb the better companies are OCZ, g-skill, Geil, kingston, Corasair

To get full performance you will need to overclock and probably want an after market cpu fan even if you do not overclock then the cpu fan will reduce temps pro-longing your cpu's life

I would overclock but I dont know how and i've seen what happens when it goes bad. Whats the difference between a pentium and core2duo?, will this setup be okay utill I can upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom