Dual core or single core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinJol

Solid State Member
A friend of mine is building himself a custom build games pc, and is considering whether or not to use single or dual core. He has discussed it with me and seems set on single core, but I am curious to know what you think.
Basically, his argument is as follows:
The dual core helps run multiple applications, but any application can only access one of the cores at any one time. This means it would be preferable to have a game running off a single core 4GHz processor, than a dual core 2.2GHz processor, as the maximum it could access from the dual cores would be the 2.2.
Is his thinking correct?

I very much agree with the consensus so far, and dual core is certainly what I would prefer. I was just curious as to your opinions, as he was fairly adamant in his thinking, and he does know a bit about computers (enough to attempt to build one anyway, which is much more than I would try!).
Thanks Salty btw, I have given him a copy of the link you provided.

building a computer does not make you perticularily good with them it is simply a case of sticking the right card in the right hole and the right power connector onto the right socket. Everything is normally shaped (so it can only fit one type of socket or named it really isn't hard. The not so easy part is deciding upon the right components for value for money as you obviously want the best performance for your price that is where this forum comes in lots of people with experience with almost every piece of hardware telling you what is good or bad

your friend is just a bit confused, whether or not it's dual core actually doesn't affect the speed of the processor. The reason the dual core is "Slower" is because newer processors (Which the dual cores are newer) started becoming more efficient rather than faster.

For example each core on a Core 2 duo at 2.2GHZ, is actually more powerful that the single core 3.gGHZ P4, simply because it takes the Core 2 less clock cycles to actually complete a task.

And there's actually some games that do support multi threading (meaning it uses both cores) though it requires a patch. I believe Quake IV is one of them.

kind of depends what OS hes using if vista then a dual-core if xp then a single core, vista is desgined for dual core processors

I too have been debating whether to get Dual Core or Single Core. For what I use Single Core would be fine (and cheaper), but I dont know whats install for my PC in the future, I could develop and addiction for huge multi tasking.

Im glad you made this thread, saves me doing it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom