8600 gt vs. 8800gts

Status
Not open for further replies.
if your running two monitors then the GTX would be your best bet if you want to get good frames...if not then you NEED a 640mb 8800GTS...

keep in mind its not just a $100 difference. You need a power supply to feed it so thats $200 unless you go with a cheapo PSU or find a really good deal. If you already have a good PSU, then by all means get it.

I already have a 700 watt endermax psu, so should I completly break my bank and get the 8800gxt or the 8800 gts with 640. Sorry about this side note but why do these cards have so little ram? Some of the dx9 cards have 1 gig of ram.

I would get the GTX if you can afford it as not only is it more powerful the extra bit of ram will help a little at such a high resolution.

Little ram??? Please 256mb is still the standard for cards most people buy these days and is just fine. When comparing GTS's 640mb memory only helps at 22 inch resolution and above. The GTX does NOT have low memory in the least....there was only like two cards with 1GB onboard memory and thats becuase they just slapped two 512 cards together....like I said 256 is the standard while 512 is really all you need for common resolutions. The GTX's 768 should be enough to handle the resolution of 3 monitors.

Ok, im running 2 monitors at like 720p(forget what numbers) with an x850xt. Your not gonna NEED the 640 mb of ram to run 2 monitors, the 320 should run pretty much any game fine. I was in the same position as you, and decided to go with the 8800 gts 320. Oh, and i would run higher resolution, but my second monitor is a CRT and wont go any higher.

3 monitors is significantly more than 2 monitors in terms of performance...he is going to need 640mb model GTS or a GTX if he wants very good frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom