Hardwiring my laptop to my wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrobot

In Runtime
Hello,

I am currently shopping for a wireless internet PC Card for my laptop, but in the meanwhile I'd like to hardwire it, to patch and update it.

My setup is:
Internet ---> Cable Modem ---> D-Link wireless router

The laptop has XP Home and has an ethernet jack. What all do I have to do to get online by pluggin in?

Thanks!

As long as you have a mini PCI card installed, just plug your network cable into the NIC port on your laptop and the other end into the router.

Well, all notebook computers made within the last...6 years or so have a built in ethernet port. You need a straight through ethernet cord. Plug it into the port on the notebook, and the other end into the router.

As long as you don't have MAC filtering enabled on the router, the computer should grab an IP address automaticly.
You might want to turn off or disable your wireless connection when hardwired though. It doesn't REALLY matter, but two connections to one router is kind of redundant.

Well when I first plugged it in, the router didn't recognize a pc was plugged in. The second time it only worked after I rebooted the router. So it's working...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom