Either building a newer machine or...going apple...OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah there's no doubt you could... But if you're not gaming or doing anything else performance intensive, what do you need that extra power for? Sh*ts and giggles? Plus, that iMac also comes with a very nice 24 inch screen, the OS obviously, other software, and warranty all in a nice tiny package.

Truth.

That's the thing. I won't need the crazy power I could build really...and yes I know it could be a lot cheaper than $1999...but...I think you're paying for the quietness...low heat output...cosmetically flawless beauty of the apple desktop.

****, I dunno why I'm on the fence anymore. I am persuading myself towards the mac everytime I speak.

here's an idea build Itx which has a 6.7"x6.7" motherboard. it can be built by you, is cheaper then a mac mini and the cases look amazing and it is so small you can just stick it on the back of the monitor and never have to see it if you cant find a case the only problem is that you have to use mobile processors but with the T7xxx line performance is easy

Okay you'll have to explain that one a little better please. Sorry. The mac mini's are cool looking, I just want the big screen too though...unless I can just buy a big apple screen then...30" mmmm. Or just the dell 30" either way.

use Wikipedia for in-depth details but basically

Itx is a form factor like Atx it comes in two sizes Mini-itx and Micro-itx. The larger and more adaptable Mini-itx has a motherboard measuring 6.7 inches and is square in shape. there are only 3 manufacturers of mini-itx motherboards Via (the people who built the original motherboards which consist of integrated cpu chips which aren't very powerful), Commel (they create motherboards that support mainstream cpu's currently the most powerful cpu you can place in one is the C2D (mobile) which are the intel T7600,T7400,T7200), Can't remember the name (they make boards for servers and retail electronics such as dvd players). The cases for mini-itx are built for small form factor and generally only have space for one 3.5" drive and a slim-line dvd drive, they dont use standard power supplies but instead use laptop style external adapters there are a few exceptions though with internal power adapters but this often creates heat in the case.

You could use a server rack mount case and then just create a single rack on the back of your monitor through attaching two rails or you could build a custom case.

this my Itx build I am currently saving for:
motherboard: COMMELL LV-677 Intel Core Duo/Core Duo 2 Mini-ITX express Motherboard
Cpu: T7400
Ram: G-skill 2x1gb
Hdd: 750gb seagate cuda 7200.10
case: Psile | Silent Media center or living room PC according to Nexus
extras: mini pci wireless card, Hauppage tv tuner

cost without tv tuner is just under £800 the best mac mini is £910 has a 160gb hdd and a core duo (mobile cpu)

Hmm...I'm interested in that...sounds like a basic laptop but for a desktop situation heh. Hmm...intriguing...I'll read up on wikipedia for that as well this evening. Thanks for that information...

I could get a nice little case for it, that would be neat...and then attach it under my desk via rails...that would be hot. Then just have a nice 30" apple monitor up on the desk...muhahaha sounds great...but that monitor is so **** expensive ugh...I like the gel screen cover though on those screens...sooo purrty.

That little cube case is hot too...but no network connections or anything available in back? Only TV ports and stuff? So it can't be used as a regular PC from the looks of that cube case...I don't see usb slots...rj45 ports or any of the sort?

I was at the apple store yesterday try'n to spec out a desktop for my buddy to game on, I wanted a G5 model so we could upgrade the video / optical drive / memory done the line. 3000 USD was the cheapest I could get it, the slowest processor a mediocre video card and 2GB of ram...
I think apple's retarded for doing that. The G5 model is the only model you can buy that is really upgradeable like that. I've take'n my Mac mini apart (NOT EASY) and you can upgrade the memory and the HD, that's about it. I can't see you being able to upgrade the video on an iMac either.

If you're doing a lot of AV work I vote Mac, it handles audio visual a lot better from what I understand.
But if all you want is eye candy and don't want to upgrade it or play any current video games that's cool, it's just a weee bit expensive for my taste.
On the up side you CAN use boot camp to dual boot XP.

2 cents added
:)

lol boys night out look at the motherboard for the rear connections....

*Rear I/O ports: 1x RJ45 LAN port, 1x DB15 VGA port, 1 x PS/2 Keyboard / Mouse ports, 1 x IEEE 1394 ports, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, Audio, SPDIF , DC input connector ( LV-677DC version only)

*Extended interface: 2 x Mini-PCI socket and 1 x PCI-Express 16x slot

Only flaw is no dvi the previous model does have dvi though so could get that instead

with two sata ports I could mod the case and put a raptor 34gb for the Os get the max out of the lil hunny

I know the mobo has them, I mean the case itself looked as if it had n opening for such a thing and you would have to "mod" or cut the case to get the mobo ports available.

The back of the cube case has several circular holes...but nothing else...maybe I didn't see it properly?

Do apple's use special hardware as in HD's or any generic SATA drive works? When I tried installing mac os x 10 on my athlon machine here it couldn't see the physical hard disks...is that the issue? Or is it primarily a software obstacle to overcome on apple's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom