ATI / AMD HD 2900 XTX - Owned By The GTX still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The R600 series is a dead dream from ATI. It won't be going anywhere now not even in DX10...they originally planned on releasing it around the same time as the G80 but after seeing the performance the G80 had, (namely the 8800GTX) they decided to delay and delay to see if they couldn't somehow edge-out the G80. However it failed and the 8800GTX just in the end was too powerful for them really. Here is a quote stating that AMD/ATI will just be moving on and going on to try and beat Nvidia with new technology.

R600XT to compete 8800 GTS only

ATI officially confirmed

ATI said in front of 150+ journalists that R600XT won't be able to compete with Geforce 8800 GTX. The dream is dead and Radeon HD 2900 XT won't be able to catch up with a six month old Geforce 8800 GTX.

ATI said that R600XT, Radeon HD 2900XT is about the performance of 8800 GTS. Radeon HD 2900 XTX won't be launched at mid may and will be delayed to Q3 2007. We already wrote about this here.

The dream that AMD can do something and return as the high end market leader s gone. R600 rails against G80. Congratulations on Nvidia.

I was skeptical about them but i did hope they would edge them out for at least a few months...there you have it folks.

the XTX will not be released until Q3 07...most likely they will do what AMD did with the later X2 5200, 5600, and 6000 series where as it was one step below the Conroes that had been out but for a little while at least the price/performance killed the conroes...even now in the lower budget the X2's are better price/performance than any C2D.

They will just be throwing out their XT right now to compete with the 8800GTS 640 so they can get some sales from the fanboys for now and go on to make an R700 that will kill them....I mean they have known this and I think the R700 has been in the making for a few months now ever since they found out they couldn't compete with the GTX....I just think it was delayed so much so they could beat out the GTS and take at least one price range for now.

And since 8800 Ultra will be an overlcocked GTX with GDDR4 then this means that nvidia will kick ATI's *** again.......

Nvidia might have the better card... but its useless without driver support.

I'm Sure ATI will have something up their sleeve.. They usually, seem to pull ahead in the end. IMO anyway.

Even if it doesn't make sense. AMD did announce that the XTX was not going to be able to compete with the GTX....so therefore if they have exhausted all options for the past 6 months i highly doubt they think it's just a driver issue....it's over obviously when AMD themselves throw in the towel.

They just now need to do their best to cook something up to beat the 8800 Ultra and possible an 8900GTX or whatever will come after.

Speculative.

Bah, it's a driver issue with the new GDDR4 modules. The 2600XT has the same exact core and core speeds. The only difference is the GDDR3 vs GDDR4 on the XTX.

Don't worry kiddies, AMD & ATI will fix this asap...

GDDR4 didn't help the X1900XTX and X1950XTX beat their XT counterparts by tons in the last series. I don't think it's just a driver issue...we may see increased performance from new ones however it will not rival an 8800GTX. AMD themselves have thrown in the towel on the R600....they said it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom