Either building a newer machine or...going apple...OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
I've been through 5 XP towers now and am looking to try something new. I know Apple's are expensive as poo, but I figure for my next build I'd be racking up close to that anyways. It's either build a good old C2D rig, or get an iMac this time around...I have a current machine (I'm on now, which is crappy socket 754 athlon xp 3400+ hahah) but it's fast enough for what I do now...which is play starcraft...best game ever. Anyways...my mom got an ibook or macbook whatever and I've been messing around on Mac's lately. I've kind of fallen in love with the interface and graphical/cosmetic beauty of the machines...granted there's no gaming for them really, I don't game on PC anyways, I'm a consoleman...but anyways point is...

Does anyone here vouch for apple pc's? Granted this is a pretty much windows/linux forum...and I use both currently too...just thinking maybe I'll keep this old crapbox PC for XP and get me an apple this time around. Sucks you can't build an apple either...oh well.

So - cliff notes - Anyone here like apple PC's or would suggest me getting one and trying it out. Anyone know the quality of parts used etc...since I build my machines I know what's in there...but with apple I have no freakin clue.

Thanks anyone who just read my long rant and felt free to comment. Jesus, I didn't mean to make such a big stink over it lol.

ive been in the market for a new computer, and im also into graphic designs which is usually recommended to use a mac for. i never owned a mac (yet?) but have looked it up and such. one thing i found is the myth that apples are more expensive. In reality, they arent, i cant find the article i read that did a full comparison, but just go to a mac forum and ask around there, i remeber getting some responses.
One thing about going mac is, do you have any real reason to switch? if you don't chances are itll probably be better to stay on PC. Or you can do what im trying to do rather than build a computer right now, and wait till leopard OS for the mac comes out and see how that trials up.
Its kind of a matter of preference, what your use to, and what your going to be doing with a mac. granted they are beautiful (my personal taste, macbook, mac pro, yum)
But yeah the long time myth that apples are expensive, is just that a myth. im trying to figure this out why again too, but its the same answer i keep finding everywhere.

but i still dont think an apple can beat a custom made PC rig. Just saying they arent "expensive as poo" if i find the article ill post the link

Musings from Mars » Of Course Macs Are More Expensive… Aren't They? one article i just read

update the cpu, motherboard and ram and dual boot linux distro much cheaper alternative or you can dual boot mac but it is illegal according the EULA (end-user licensing agreement) which prohibits people from using mac on non apple hardware

mac os x desn't work on non-apple hardware is the thing. I've tried in the past with legit copies on windows based hardware and to no success, got as far as locating a disk to install on and then nothing happened nothing showed up so I had to back out =/

Yeah I was looking at Leopard as well and seing if that will be cool or not. Tiger seems pretty cool though too, I'm actually on a powerbok g4 right now typing this lol, my mom's new laptop hah, it's a neat little device.

I dunno how it comes out to be not more expensive though...I mean for $1999 you can get a 24" iMac...dual core at 2.16ghz etc...with 1gb of ram...250gb hard drive. But on a windows machine for $1999, I could build a machine that would destroy the iMac performance-wise.

I guess it's a matter of going to a new interface, a seemless operating system and that never eems to have issues like windows does sometimes, and how well all of apples peripherals work well together. I really dig the "seemless" aspect of apple products. I don't know. I'm a longtime windows fanboy and have used it ever since win 3.1 lol. Lately I'm using linux too on the side and it's totally different obviously, but linux is proving useful and pretty cool. I think maybe it'd be best if I had a machine of every type.

Also, now that apple's can dual boot windows using the bootcamp thingy they have, or run parallel windows software in a windowed mode is pretty cool. Then it'd be even better, I could run 2 OS's on the apple, which would be nifty too in having vista/xp as well on there.

I have yet to find a distro of linux that's a copycat of mac os x 10 though, some say here are versions which are virtually identical and if that's the case, it may be better for me build another xp/vista machine and take my old 754 unit and put linux on it instead since linux runs so well on older machines anyways.

I'm still up in the air I guess...I'm mesmorized byt the graphical beauty of mac interfaces and dispays.

IMO, a self-built pc with very good hardware and with all the right tweaks will always be as good or better than any Mac. My first computer was a mac back in 1999. Then one day I learned how to build a pc and said goodbye to the mac forever.
For my personal computer needs, a pc does as much and more than a mac ever did.
Good Luck

you can run mac os on a pc. its a very cumbersome job tho. through emulation via pearpc you can install MacOS and run it windowed in windows. there are some setbacks you can only emulate up to a G4 cpu, G5s haven't been worked out yet, and the graphics emulation is crappy. they are finally getting sound support with the newest version tho. Anyways unless you are feeling adventurous you might as well get a Macbook and go bootcamp.

Since you're not gaming, nothing wrong with going with an Apple especially if you don't already have a nice monitor. From the my brief experiences with them, I've liked them but can't really say much. Since you're not gaming, why not just go with a Macbook? Or do you need more power/screen for something else? Either way, if you decide on a Mac, be sure to wait until the new models come out, rumored May-June. Macs never have price drops (you could buy the same specs now as you could've half a year ago for the same price :() so the best time to buy is right when they come out. The newer models will have the new Santa Rosa chip and Macbooks are probably going to have much better integrated graphics.

Well I've never been a fan of laptops honestly. I find using them difficult with the size and keyboard layout and everything. My mom has the little 13" or whatever macbook, which is cool, light and pretty speedy for what it is. I love the brushed aluminum feel/look as well, but I prefer a home desktop for myself. My job doesn't require a laptop even though I'm a computer guy at work. I have 2 desktops at work though anyways, one with xp pro and one with rhel 4.

I could shoot for laptop possibly...but I would love to have the big 24" iMac at home probably more so than just having a laptop. If I did get a laptop I would prob. just get an older one and add stuff too it more than likely.

Yeah, I rarely game and if I do, it's with much older games like starcraft or CnC generals lol. I got the 360 so all my gaming is on there or the Wii nowadays. Maybe I will be adventurous for once and invest in apple and see how they work out.

Thanks for all the continued input here guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom