Annoying modem problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCNewbie

Baseband Member
I bought a new external modem because my internal one was defective. I thought it would clear up this problem as well as the others. Well it cleared the others but not this. Every time I click connect it dials a few tones then beep, beep, beep and stops and fails. It does this a few times randomly. Then after a few tries it works and dials the whole thing and I connect. But as I said it's random, sometimes I connect on the first try sometimes it takes five until it works. I've tried adding commas to the phone number, no luck.

And another problem has arisen. Once in a while, when I start the computer up the modem is not working. The lights on it are not on and the dialup connection box says it's not connected when it is perfectly. I have to shut down the computer, plug out and in the wires and start it up again for it to work. Then it works but in a few days or a week it does it again.

BTW I have latest Norton AV updates and Zonealarm Firewall. Win98SE computer.

hmmm. i'l put in my lousy 2cents.
all i have 2 say is check commas. and connectors for power issue.check cord
ect normal crap
i use a number wont disclose

ex
itried.

xxxxxxx,xxx nope
xxxxxxx,, nope

then
xxxxxxx,,, worked

:)

BTW I tried everything Mircobell said nothign worked.

It's a PCLine USB 56k modem, model num. is MD200

THe only thing I can think if is, to make sure you don't have any - (dashes) anywhere in the string of numbers your modem is dialing out to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom