RAID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goped79

Baseband Member
i have 2 80GB hard drives that arent in a RAID. i want to have them in a RAID 0 and i buy a 160GB to back up both drives. is this possible? alos both drives are IDE. can i have a RAID with IDE?

so wait....you want to set the 2 80GB on raid...and then set another RAID up to back up the RAID array you just created?

I believe that your going to want RAID 0 with the 2 80gb for nice performance and then RAID 1 backing up the Array you have just created. I don't know too much about RAID though and this is just a guess.

Yes RAID work with IDE...it was created years ago before SATA

also will it work if i hate the 2 IDE hard drives and 1 160GB SATA backing up the other two?

It should work just fine...Your going to want to do RAID 0 and give increased performance and 160GB with the two 80GB's and then use your 160GB you have and set up RAID 1 on that ARRAY however as I said I'm not very good with RAID and have never done it therefore I don't know if that's how you would go about it.

It may be RAID 0+1 actually but I don't know....

Raid 1+0 which is 10 needs 4 disk minimum as I have just read. It may just be an instance of RAID 0 and then another of RAID 1 like I said but I'm not sure... It's possible that you may not be able to have performance increase and fault protection without at least 4 disks....not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom