Prep for installing a new cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

In Runtime
hey guys,
was plannin on gettin me a new 5600+ x2 tomorrow, to replace my ol 3500+ (which isnt duel core). gonna cash in on the price slash :D, and was wondering what i need to do to get my computer rdy for the upgrade. i know how to install a cpu, but have only done so from a clean install of windows.

is there things i need to uninstall/install first?

should there be things i make sure i do?

do i need to do something with my bios?

any input would be appriciated, as i havnt tryed this b4, and i want it to go as smoothy as possible.

cheers.

Hello,

Nope. No need to uninstall anything or change anything in the BIOS beforehand. Just replace your current CPU (in the correct way that is).

uh, actually that depends...
if your 3500 is a manchester s939, you will need a new mobo and ram to run that am2 5600.
hopefully you already knew this.
also, if you do have am2 board...
if you want to overclock and have quality hardware, a brisbane x2 3600 will clock to the same speed as the 5600 EASY. it does have half the cache, which may show in some benchmark applications, but nothing too noticeable. it also runs cooler (even overclocked to the same speed) as the 5600.
it costs 65.00 OEM on newegg. 110.00 less than 5600, for very comprable performance.

ok, cool, cheers guys

ye, my 3500 is an am2... so upgrading will be cool
thx for the input, althou im not a big overclocker, so ill still stick with the 5600

hey guys,
was plannin on gettin me a new 5600+ x2 tomorrow, to replace my ol 3500+ (which isnt duel core). gonna cash in on the price slash :D, and was wondering what i need to do to get my computer rdy for the upgrade. i know how to install a cpu, but have only done so from a clean install of windows.

is there things i need to uninstall/install first?

should there be things i make sure i do?

do i need to do something with my bios?

any input would be appriciated, as i havnt tryed this b4, and i want it to go as smoothy as possible.

cheers.
I did the same thing myself this week as I was upgrading from AMD Athlon 64 Skt 939 3200 to Opteron 175 Dual Core. It went across rather smoothly.

My worlds of advice.....
Make sure you upgrade your Bios so that it will expect the dual core CPU.

You should be able to install the CPU, and turn on Windows Xp with out any problems. However I would recommend that you back up and be prepared to format any ways. Especially if you are using a motherboard with an SiS chipset.

Windows Xp might require you to reactivate your OS. However you will have 3 days in order to do that before the OS locks you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom