Buying new pc, advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0ULphIRE

Golden Master
ok, so im building a new gaming pc, coz my old one is a P3 1.7ghz. I dont want to get a monitor or speakers.
Im trying to keep it under $1800, here's what ive got so far:

MOBO: Gigabyte Ga-945P-DS3 $115
CPU: Core 2 duo E6700 $437
RAM: OCZ 5-5-5 PC2-6400 GOLD GX XTC 2GB DDR2 800Mhz $285
HDD: SAMSUNG 250GB 7200rpm SATA II 300 $99.10
PSU: SILVERSTONE 500W ATX $115.6
DVD: SAMSUNG 16X DVD-ROM DRIVE $28.3
CASE: ANTEC Solution Series NSK400 ATX Minitower $77.50
GFX: Gigabyte GeForce 8800 GTS 320M $459
All together it comes in at $1706.50

Any suggestions? Obvious things which ive missed out?

E6700 is a waste of money, get the E6600 which is abit cheaper but overclocks faster than the E6600, obviously you might not want to overclock like me in which case get the 6700 if you can afford to.
HDD get a Seagate Barracuda instead.
Lastly id go for a 8800 GTS by either XFX,BFG, or EVGA, there ones people seems to go for and like the best, although im not saying theres anything wrong with Gigabyte.

Even if the price was dropped on the e6700, it's still a waste. Get the e6600...overclock....boom...you save about $100 right there. I don't know about the 945P-DS3 on overclocking, but I'd suggest the 965P-DS3, instead.

And get the G. Skill DDR2-800 HZs, instead. Much cheaper and very overclockable.

mobo: good bored but personal favourite is abit AW9D-max so you may want to have a look at that
cpu: e6600 the e6700 is really for people who buy prebuilt computers and can't over clock and people who are stupid and see the ghz and thin that it is the best available.
Ram: G-skill hz's (black ones) 6400 ddr2 2x1gb
hard drive: Seagate barracuda 320gb they are reliable, cheap, long warranty (they are so cheap you could buy to and get a slight performance boost in a raid 0 configuration).
Psu: corsair 520W
Os: get windows xp Media centre edition has the functionality of pro with extra themes and a media viewer application and is about the same pric as home usually.
GFX: not sure about the American prices as I am from across the pond but that 8800GTS seems a little overpriced

thanks for the replies. ok so ive replaced the e6700 with an e6600 for $315, and replaced the mobo with the 965p-ds3. i dont think ill bother replacing the hdd, this ones good enuf for me. As to the gfx card, i wanted to get a GTX but my budget cant handle that! Ive heard that OCZ ram is pretty good for oc'ing, and u would not believe how hard it is to find reasonably priced g skill ram in australia! btw in case nobody figured, all prices are in au dollars. PSU, yeh the cosair seems better than the one i found. Thanks for the help.

Finally, some decent advice.

Cookies for everyone...

OMG>>>I didn't post before you gave cookies :( !!.

You should get the E6600 like Rich told you, is right now the sweetspot.

BTW before I tried to give you anymore advice, just curious where are you planning to buy all these parts?!

As stated drop the E6700 for an E6600 and then drop the ram for cheaper G.skill ram.

You don't need amazing ram to get a high overclock on an E6600. This should give you enough cash to go ahead and put in the 8800GTX.

EDIT: Have fun fitting a GTS let alone a GTX into a mini tower like that. I hope you like to case mod lmfao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom