would LAN cable do for 2 man lanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabloII

Fully Optimized
i'm planning on playing CS 1v1 against a friend on our laptops offline

would a cat5/6 (the lan cable, w/e it's called) connecting the 2 computer suffice?

thanks

what is a crossover cable?

my ethernet cable has 2 ends (typical ones you'd put in lan sockets/router)

a crossover has a different wire configuration to normal straight lan cables. I think its four wires are switched around. Basically when there is no hub u need a crossover, or it wont work. If you hold the lan cables next to eachother, you should see a different pattern in the wires if its crossover.

if you go to radio shack or circuit city they will know what a crossover is.
i think actually only like two pins are switched...i used to build them, but i cant remember for sure.

i'm planning on playing CS 1v1 against a friend on our laptops offline

would a cat5/6 (the lan cable, w/e it's called) connecting the 2 computer suffice?

thanks

You call connecting and playing in 2 computers a lan?!?!

Just kidding though ;) :D .

You can also cut the cable and rewire it to be a crossover cable, or cut open the plastic and swap the specific wires. Just hold up the two ends, with the tab thingy away from you, side by side, and see if the order of the wires matches (orange to orange, green to green, etc.) If they do, its a straight cable, so either take it back and get a crossover, or modify it. If they dont, then its either a reverse-pair, rollover, or crossover cable (crossover is most likely, the average user wont come across the other ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom