New computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan III

Baseband Member
A guy I know wanted to buy a computer from alienware but I told him it would be better to build a computer himself. He didn't know what parts to get ect.. So this is what I picked out for him. Please let me know what you think.

CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600
Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM-CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail
Video Card- EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Power Supply- PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply - Retail
Case- AeroCool AeroEngineII-SSP Silver 0.65mm SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Optical Drive- 2x LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S - Retail
Monitor- Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
Operating System- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 - Retail
Keyboard- Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - Retail
Mouse- Logitech G5 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse - Retail
Speakers- Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System - Retail
Headset- PLANTRONICS GAMECOMPRO1 USB Connector Supra-aural Gaming Stereo Headset - Retail

Well from what it looks like, your going for the best.
How much are these items?
More specifically:
the monitor.
Get a soundcard the XFI extreme is good.
Or you can:
Get the barrucada soundcard, and headset. The headset is one of the best for gaming.
Get a lightscribe Drive. Those are sweet.

They're better for the money. The dominators are unnecessary, when you can get 2gb kits that can overclock, like the HZs, for much cheaper.

Thanks guys.

Hes ganna get the sound card but hes not ganna change the memory. He is never going to OC is memory and probably not anything else :( so I think the corsair would be just fine.

if he is not going to overclock that is probably thw worst use of money on a computer I have heard in a long time.

That's like me paying 300 bucks for a 1KW PSU right now while have a single 8800GTS....

You can't convince him that he will see hardly any performance increase it all by spending money on ram like that? Even when your overclocking that's a stupid idea let alone staying at stock....sigh oh well his money.

I woulld get the MX518 for a mouse as it has two side buttons compared to the G5's single one. I NEED 2 buttons for FPS games....but thats just me again.

EDIT: BTW I jsut noticed those are only the DDR2-800 version of the Dominators. only DDR2-1000 and above GUARANTEE D9 chips in them. Corsair has posted this in response to a few newegg comments a few time complaining that they payed that much and it wasn't D9's. The G.skill HZ's however are D9's.

I agree with Sora. With the parts in that list, that system is pretty much made for overclocking.

Well, I am going to try to convince him to overclock but atm he is still trying to figure out what everything is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom