Almost, sorta, kinda, finalising build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

small256

In Runtime
Hey all. So far i've narrowed my choices down to:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300

Gfx card: 320MB Leadtek 8800GTS OR 640MB EVGA 8800GTS depending on final prices.

ram: 1Gb Elixir PC4200

Mobo: Asus P5B-E

If anyone could advise me on anything that'd be great. I also need a psu, i'm presuming that i'll probably need a better one for the 640mb gfx card but i'm not sure what i could get away with, i was thinking probably 550w

Thanks in advance

We need your total and final budget that includes shipping charges.
What parts you will be reusing.
what parts you need.
what sites you can/want to order from.
Exactly what you will want to do with this PC. (Though we can assume overclocking and gamming)

yep pretty much ocing and gaming
i'm going for a max budget of £800 and so far i've got up to either £400 with the leadtek gfx card or £500 with the evga card and that's from scan.co.uk.
i'm keeping my case, thats about it. and possibly my dvd drive.
sorry, i should have mentioned all that :p

Mate if you got £800 to spend you can do alot better than what you posted!

Heres what i put together on scan for you..............

E6600 core 2 duo £149.1
Motherboard(the one you picked will probably be ok but you can afford to spend £70 at least on this)
Ram 2GB (2x1GB) CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800) £102.17
GPU 320MB Leadtek 8800GTS PCI-E (x16), Mem 1600MHz £190.21
PSU 520W SilverStone Zeus £56.39

There you go all good parts and i think thats all you need if you have a case and dvd drive already, what about a hard drive and windows?

Im sure i can make some improvements to the above providing you dont need much more than what i posted

Ah, thankyou very much for your research! I do admit, I was orginally going for something similar to what you've found (except for the processor).

£800 is my very top budget, obviously if i can save in some places then i'll be even happier. So far, the total for what you've come up with is just under £570 which isn't bad at all.

The one thing I forgot to say was that I 'll be getting HDDs as well for RAID when I get round to it, but to save money now i'm only going to be getting the one. The same thing goes for the ram, i'm only going to get a single gb stick and then buy a second later which would probably drop the price down to about £530 which would leave me that £40 for a HDD!

Thanks very much for your help, I shall take it all into consideration :)

If you want to play top game (judging by your gpu you must do?) then you WILL NEED 2GB of ram, if you get 1GB you may find your not getting the full potential of the gpu because you havent got enough ram, some games need 2GB to run smooth anyway(like battlefield 2142, FEAR, etc) they will run will 1gb but there much smoother to play with 2GB.
For a hard drive get a Seagate Barracuda, there excellent( i should know i have one) and also other poeple on here always recommend them.

i dont know prices in the UK, but here gskill ram is king, and cheaper than
xms2. these gskill HK will trounce xms as far as i have read (i plan on getting some to see if Sora is FOS lol) here and in other forums:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

this is coming from an xms user (and i love it, but with a super high overclock, it aint the best).
by trounce i mean it will run 1-200Mhz higher than xms with tighter timings.

p.s. stable-ish. lmfao that rocks dude.

Thanks for the advice jonny_uk, i guess i can wait a couple more weeks and get the second stick straight away. And i'm going to go for a 200gb Barracuda and get a second later on. Thanks for that.

And thanks nagasama for recommending the g.skill ram, i've now been looking at the pk series for £95.79 which is about $192 (unfortunately thats the cheapest I can get in the UK, the one you recommended goes for £110.27 over here which equates to about $221 rather than $150. And i'm pretty sure newegg don't ship to the UK :( ) Oh and thanks for the p.s. :p

So this takes me to:

CPU: e6600 £148.86
GPU: Leadtek 320mb 8800gts £190.21
RAM: 2Gb G.Skill PK Series £95.79
Mobo: Asus P5B-E £76.83
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 200gb £42.31
Power supply: 520W SilverStone Zeus £56.39
Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro £12.16
For a total of £622.55

That looks great, everything is good :D alot of pc for your money there!

By the way i didnt know Gskill was better than the XMS memory, i stand corrected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom