Sony PSU Problem, not user replaceable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks alot for the post.

For the PSU will taking pictures of the connector to the motherboard help?

yea just get a picture of the wires, from both sides, you might have to detach it. i got a psu here that i can use as a reference. oh also count how many wires are on the connector, if there is 20 or 24 then it probably is replaceable by the "end user". which is what i think because the info for sony vaio pc's are hard to find, so if it were taken to a pc shop, they would just try a diff psu. so i doubt that its a oem only replacement, maybe it just dont fit the case.

almost forgot, check to see if there are any other connectors coming from the psu to the motherboard, something like
auxcable.jpg

yea just get a picture of the wires, from both sides, you might have to detach it. i got a psu here that i can use as a reference. oh also count how many wires are on the connector, if there is 20 or 24 then it probably is replaceable by the "end user". which is what i think because the info for sony vaio pc's are hard to find, so if it were taken to a pc shop, they would just try a diff psu. so i doubt that its a oem only replacement, maybe it just dont fit the case.

almost forgot, check to see if there are any other connectors coming from the psu to the motherboard, something like
auxcable.jpg
Here are all the pictures of my computer I have taken so far. Just tell me what other pictures you want me to take.

Thanks

computer - a photoset on Flickr

k good news buddy, its a standard atx psu, well the connectors at least. It has a 20pin as i thought earlier with the 4 pin 12v cpu power connector (the 4 wire with 2 black and 2 yellow)

the wires all match up :cool: so just get a new case and powersupply!

so go ahead and get this. it should all fit and work perfect. the motherboard should mount correctly, and the wires all match up, so you should be set.

Glad to hear the good news. IS there by any chance that that case wouldn't work if so what precautions should I take?

just make sure all the mounting holes line up, and if there are any posts that are extra (eg: there is a post, but no hole in that location on the motherboard) remove the post, and if they are non-removeable, about 6 layers of electrical tape over it should do it. (or something that is non conductive and will fit between the two, like a peice of plastic, or even cardboard.

thanks thanks. Now what are the steps necessary after I receive the CASE + PSU? Like step 1 unplug computer , 2 remove PSU, 3 remove motherboard

etc...

or, i just noticed this today, i just rebuilt PC1 (sig) again..and was looking at the power supply bracket. now heres the good news: you might be able to still use your current case, and just throw another psu in there, it will just be one mounting hole short, bad news: i think the mount is upside down, plus i think that a quality psu will be too long to fit in the case.

thats if you plan to keep the current case. for building it: yes you are correct, unplug the computer, and find a suitable work surface, NOT CARPET!!! a desk or counter should do just fine. Unplug everything from the outside of the case, and open the case. touch something metal inside the case, like a bolt or screw, to ground yourself to prevent against ESD (electrostatic discharge). Now using the picture that i provided earlier that has the mounting locations of screws for the motherboard, and get a screwdriver or socket, or Allen wrench (depending on what it is) and remove all the screws, after of course you have disconnected all wires from inside the case that go to the motherboard. before you disconnect the front panel connectors (switch, pwlight, hddlight) trace them and mark which ones are which, makes assembling it much faster. now remove your motherboard, hdd's, cd drives, etc...

Now on the new case, and use this tutorial to help assemble your computer. now would also be the time to dust you components off, as they were pretty dusty.

Just remember, don't change any jumpers and plug everything back into the places they are originally from. if done right, then it should start up like nothing happened.

(i made that mistake today, i accidentally got my ide cables backwards and plugged a hdd into the sec ide channel, and a cd into the primary and got a boot error...man that was funny to work out, looked inside and bam there it was, yellow cable was in blue port, and blue cable was in yellow port. lol.

and one more thing (yea i know i go on forever), if you purchase a case with a side window, take a good 20min or so and survey the inside of the case for good hiding places for your wires, because wires sitting in the middle of your window looks like straight crap (click link in sig that says hp pavilion 7940, its like the second and third pictures down on the first set on the right) its also a kinda good tutorial, just not as detailed. if i wanted it to be a tutorial, i would have taken more pictures...

heythanks alot man. But yeah if there are any last words then its time to type it. I'll be buying this pretty soon in about 12 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom