Dual Psu's????

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yea, triple psu's

i had to do something like that once, but it was risky, oh so risky, see this is what i did. i have a 2.1 celeron with no psu. i got a 175w 200w and a 250w. none of the psu's would turn it on. the 250w was literally one hdd away, it would turn on, as soon as that hdd got power it shut off. so i had one psu for the drives, one for the 20 pin and p4 connector. then the 250w still didn't have enough power, so i bit the nail and put the p4 connector on the 175w and the 20pin on the 250w and the 200w for the drives, and guess what: it booted, but oh man was it ugly, there was a stack of psu's bolted to the outside of the case with wires routing out the back of the case thru the original psu location.

the tricky part is timing for crucial system components(unless u got a multi-output toggle switch, common connector and 5 output connectors with one button to turn em all on), but for fans, y not?

but if not necessary, then i say don't: its just 1 more thing that can go wrong. so if ur system is struggling for power, and u got money, just get a better psu.:D

don't do it. its about as practical as my friends computer. He put special bag inside that reacts well with heat and put LIVE fish inside. It's an amazing case, but its practically useless..

At least his looks cool = /

[Snipped]

good luck.

LMAO...the biggest problem I think you'll face is this:

1.) you risk having a crap PSU for your fans and it dies and screws up your whole rig

2.) you have a nice PSU that should probably be powering an entire computer

either way it's kinda dumb but I'd still like to see the outcome...and it might be something worth looking into with how much power the graphics cards coming out are needing.

[Snipped]

just put it on there if you want to, man. its your case.
post some pictures when you're done.

yeah exactly you do what the f**** you want to your computer dont listen to people trying to stop you it will look **** cool when its finished

To the OP:

If you really want to do it, go for it. Dont listen to every one telling you its stupid or a waste of money.

Now for some advice from some one who used to do this:

I had dual PSUs in my old Barton box. I had all the fans and fan controllers on the secondary PSU. The only fan on the system PSU was the CPU HSF. I could turn off the second PSU when I wanted my system silent and not worry about the CPU over heating. This is nice if you sleep in the same room as your pc or just dont like the noise when you are doing 2D low load apps.

I ran this set up for over a year with out any problem. I had a 400w PSU for my Asus MoBo, OCed Barton 3000+, six hard drive, tv tuner, sound card, and optical drives. I used an older 300w PSU for the numerous 80mm case fans I had to cool the rig with.

In my new C2D rig I dont have any need for this since everything runs cool and quiet on just two case fans, everything else is passive.

So I would say go for it. If you really want to do something different then just ignore what others say. Its not going to ruin any hardware, and its fun to mod and tinker with a PC.

i agree. this brings me up to one thing: if you are using a psu just for the fans and one just for the main conponents, on the main psu, have 2 fans, the cpu fan, and a backup fan, like for exhaust, a low airflow or controlled 80mm+ fan. i have this going, i have my fan controller with my psu fan, rear case fan, and a front fan. then i have a backup 92mm fan on the side panel that is just enough to keep the pc from melting down if something happens, and this also enables me to have all the fans off resulting in a silent & dark pc (my fan lights run off my psu fan connector because if those go out then i know i got a problem. sorry if i dont make sense, but i got one heck of a cold that makes me sneeze every 20 or so secconds...makes me double type letters, lol n on top of it all i got a headache.

yeah, that would be a pretty good idea...but I guess you covered that with your case lighting being hooked up to the other PSU as well as fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom