Will SATA work with my mother board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a socket 478 w/ SATA as well.

You won't notice any difference between SATA and IDE. IDE is fast enough.

haha...uhh, hmm..how to reply to this one

i have sata 3.0 on a 160gb WD, and i LOOOVVVEEEE IT! xp bar goes acrost half way then i have desktop...funny, everybody always says, whaaaat?...

you will notice best when copying files on that harddrive, eg: from your documents folder to your desktop, say on an ide, a certian file would take 30s, on sata it takes about 13s. its truly incredible the first time you use it, i first used it on a C2D dell that had 512 mb and a 250gb sata hdd...i loved it, got it here, and i still love it.

gotta love how fast technology is moving nowadays...whats next? SATA9.3gb/s? hah

The hard drive doesn't sustain data transfer faster than IDE (ATA 100). Therefore, the serial cable's extra speed can not be used (except for bursts).

please can you explain?

oh yeah and BMXFREAKRIDER Sata is VERY fast i have a SATA II Western digital 160GB and it flies compared to my old Maxtor IDE hard drive

Most hard drives can only sustain 40-70 MB/s which is still slower than the ATA 100 interface. The SATA interface can handle 3x the bandwidth but the drives can barely use a fraction of that.

Here are the benchmarks:
3.5" Hard Drive Charts | Tom's Hardware

You say "Most hard drives can only sustain 40-70 MB/s which is still slower than the ATA 100 interface.".

On that link you gave, only one drive is slower than 70 MB/s. You just contradicted yourself.

You say "Most hard drives can only sustain 40-70 MB/s which is still slower than the ATA 100 interface.".

On that link you gave, only one drive is slower than 70 MB/s. You just contradicted yourself.

Your looking at the wrong benchmark. Change it to Average Read Transfer Performance.

Yeah you have to buy a card to use a SATA drive, your motherboard doesn't have any built in SATA plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom