Suggestions for a $1000 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer.9.9

Solid State Member
Ok, I think I finally convinced my uncle to let me build him a pc instead of him buying a dell....
He wants to stay around $1000. His dell pc was gonna be $1200 so I'd like to save him some money but also get a better one than he was buying (if possible), (and maybe make a bit of money myself if possible:D ). I'm not sure what the specs were on the one he was buying, hes gonna send me a link with the pc tomorrow.
So my main questions are:

Whats the best amd processor and motherboard I can get that would fit in my budget. Because I'm not to up-to-date on what the best processors and motherboards are...

Thanks.

If you can; I'd go with a Intel Core 2 Duo. I was a long time AMD man and just switched back to Intel and am gald. But if you were thinking of budget; not too much overclocking; AMD would probably be you best bet.
If he was thinking Dell; find out the PC he was going to get for that price. Now build that yourself; get a price, use the rest for upgrades.
Is this puter going to be for overclocking? Gaming? Multitasking? Email and browsing?

I'm guessing just a home pc with a little gaming, but he wants it to be able to do anything just incase. so a little of everything.

get a AMD or Intel Duel core procosssor. If he isn't going to overclock (doesn't sound like it) go with AMD (for you dollar = better choice). Hard drives = seagate seams to be getting great reviews (SATA drives).

Is he thinking of going Vista or XP?

If you go with onboard video or not; I'd get a card with a PCI - Express slot for future upgrades. I'd go with a board with pretty many SATA slots (seems to be the way most things are going). If he doesn't care about noise you can get some pretty cheap SATA cd rom, DVD rom drives on newegg.
I really don't know about budget boards. I always buy ASUS boards. Anyway, check out NewEgg's reviews; they're really helpful.
As far as a case; There's a lot of cheap; but good cases out there. As long as your not going to overclock and need a really good cooling case. Don't buy one with a power supply with it. They come with garbage PSU's. There's many threads in these forums about which brands are good and wich aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom