Microsoft admits Vista failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with Vista, but set up XP as a dual boot... just in case.

I actually read the article. Sounds like a Linux fanboy's wet dream to me. Vista hasn't taken the world by storm, but it is making headway, and it will supplant XP one day.

768MB idle RAM usage with Aero is BETTER MEMORY MANAGEMENT?
Memory management and memory usage are two different things.

Man, we just bought a lab of new laptops at the school. Brand new, Vista installed out of the box, but there were so many driver issues (keep in mind, Vista was PRE-INSTALLED) and domain-joining issues (Windows 2003 Standard) that we backported to XP. We wasted about a month trying to get Vista to work.
I work for a software development company that has been developing apps for Vista (thus running Vista on our network) since November without a problem. You've either got a bad combination of hardware/software on your machines, or your network technicians need a bit more training.

aero won't give a performance hit on decent machines, granted it will use memory but won't hurt performance.

as jaesum says, memory management and memory usage are two different things. Vista has Superfetch which preloads info for quick access, so idle memory usage means nothing in vista like it does in xp, also virtual memory is totally been revised to improve performance, vista also improves performance on 64 bit and multicore cpu's, and many more optimizations. The memory management reduces reliance on the hard drive and instead uses more memory, for better performance.

Vistas firewall is better for sure.

on decent machines
Can you define that please? Because Microsoft is already in hot water for misleading people using words along the same lines.

You've either got a bad combination of hardware/software on your machines
Well, isn't new hardware supposed to work with Vista? Especially if the machine comes with Vista?

The largest software issue we had was with IE7, ironically enough.

I'd say at about 6800gs or x800 on up would get little if any performance hit from aero. the minimum requirements are 64 meg card with pixel shader 2 support, so fx5200 and up or radeon 9500 and up.

I should clarify the 'won't hurt performance' part though, obviously if you have lots of gadgets, windows, and 3d items on the desktop eventually it will get sluggish and unresponsive......for more normal use a good 256 meg card like most of you guys seem to have in your signatures should run aero like a charm.

actually thats my intention too trotter, is to dual boot them on my RAID 0 array, then if things go horribly bad switch back to xp and badda bing i have my installation of XP for backup yay!! another thing.. will there be a DX 10 for my XP or will they force me to upgrade to vista if i want dx10 or only like release a directx 9.0d for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom