running LCD other than native resolution....

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I heard it's not really recommended to use an LCD on a different resolution, other than it's native. My native is 1680x1050, but the max resolution is 1920x1080. And I want to run it at 1920x1080, for a bigger desktop space.

Hello,

Well you can use a resolution other than the native resolution, but it won't be 'pixel perfect', meaning that the image on the display won't be of optimal quality unless it's set to the native resolution. For example, when looking at text, it won't be at its full sharpness.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it because it can increase eye strain.

The Max resolution in LCD = native resolution

Native Resolution = [SIZE=-1]Optimal resolution at which is the display is designed for, where there's one to one mapping of pixels.

Well, in a sense, you can say that the native resolution is the maximum resolution a display can handle. But it's really the amount of pixels physically present on the display, not the maximum resolution it can handle (since many LCDs can scale higher resolutions).
[/SIZE]

My 19 inch wide is 1440x900 native but FEAR doesn't support Widescreen so i have to use it at 1024x968. I was scared at first and mad but it looks beautiful at that res....it's the only game that does on my monitor.

For the most part LCD's look crappy outside their "native"

most games do look bad outside of their native resolution (or maximum resolution supported). Their are 2 plus sides to that though, increased performance in pc games when running them at lower resolution, and it is a natural form of anti aliasing, basically aliasing (jagged edges on objects) is less noticeable at non-native resolutions.

Sora, FEAR can be ran at any resolution you want by editing the Settings.cfg files screenwidth & screenheigth entries.

TweakGuides.com - FEAR Tweak Guide

check out that dudes guides & website, tons of good stuff on there.

What? I've always read that FEAR had native widescreen support built in, as of version 1.08, make sure you update your game so you get native support. Not sure about older versions.

F.E.A.R - WSGFWiki.

I've never heard of a monitor's native resolution not being the max resolution. I've always seen it as the highest, but that is just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom