Drive letter assigning in Windows XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froberg

Solid State Member
Hi all,
We have a problem at work. We manage some 3000 computers, and we've dedicated the "E:" network drive for personal data for each individual user.
E.g. their outlook data, personal documents etc.
This means it's a very, very big hassle changing the drive to another letter.

Now, the problem is that we've seen increased usage of USB memory sticks, now you wouldn't think this could be a problem, but it is.
Here's what happens;

Customer puts in a memory stick, can't find it (The memory stick usually hides behind one of the network drives, confusing windows.) - calls up tech support (sometimes me, sometimes someone else..), we guide them into computer administration, and get them to select the USB drive, and assign it to Z or something like that. Problem is this takes a large chunk of time out of our day, which we really need to use for other tasks. I am usually installing new computers, we recently purchased some 2400 Lenovo (IBM) machines, to replace some older machines in our system.

Enough with the background, here's my question:
Is there any way, we can make it so newly added drives automatically select the A: or B: drives, if they are free?
The Lenovo machines do not have a floppy drive, why would they? If we could get the USB memory sticks etc. to assign themselves to A/B automatically, we wouldn't have to change our entire network layout and re-assign everyone's accounts to a new network drive letter.

I tried a test yesterday, where I changed a memory stick manually to use the A: drive, and then the B: drive. It worked flawlessly.
So is there a way we can tell windows to use those slots for new HDD units?

I sincerely hope someone can help me, I'm just a student but the guys at work are all stumped by this.. so if I can find a solution they shall be happy.^,^

Thanks for reading, and if you can help out, thanks for that - too.

Customer puts in a memory stick, can't find it (The memory stick usually hides behind one of the network drives, confusing windows.) - calls up tech support (sometimes me, sometimes someone else..), we guide them into computer administration, and get them to select the USB drive, and assign it to Z or something like that. Problem is this takes a large chunk of time out of our day, which we really need to use for other tasks. I am usually installing new computers, we recently purchased some 2400 Lenovo (IBM) machines, to replace some older machines in our system.

what do you mean by, "the memory sticks hide behind the network drives"? can you post a screen shot?

The system is going to choose a drive letter automatically. The best way to do this is to change the E: letter to H:. How do you all assign the E: drive letter? Do you use mapping and kicktart?

Yeah, it chooses a drive letter automatically.. problem is that when there are network drives it doesn't acknowledge them as real drives.. ergo we end up with a memory stick at E, that isn't visible.

of course.. that's not the issue.

We need to make it so our IXP install of windows XP SP2, decides to assign memory sticks A or B instead of E or F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom