Good, Reliable Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxtor aren't reliable in my opinion had 2 fail as externals luckily both types I noticed the screeching sound and was able to copy the majority of data off before It completely broke

I prefer my Westerndigital hdd over my Seagate due to it being silent. Shame I only use it for storage over OS...

Seagate drives are the most reliable. period.

Maxtor used to be kinda bad, but they have improved. I don't think they're up to the standards of Seagate or Western Digital though.

maxtor was taken over by seagate so you dont get maxtor drives anymore

No, you can still get Maxtors. It's just being sold under Seagate.

Get S-E-A-G-A-T-E, they are the most reliable hard drives and they have the long 5 year warranty. Maxtor only has 1 year warranty and I don't know about Western Digital.

Yes Seagate owns Maxtor but Maxtor hard drives still love to crap out on you. Go figure.

My MOBO is GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification

The hard drive I'm thinking of getting is
Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Would my MOBO be able to run it? I never made my pc so I don't really know much.

Thanks again :) you guys are really helpful.

Your motherboard only has 2 sata connections which is kinda of a small in comparison to my board which has 6 but as long as you have a spare sata port you won't have a problem you will also need to buy a sata cable (normally come free with motherboards but you didn't build so need to buy separately).

One issue is it just says "high speed sata" well sata is the highest speed connection but it comes in 2 standards Sata1 (1.5gb/sec) or Sata2 (3.0gb/sec) the seagate barracudas come with a jumper factory placed at the rear which limit them to 1.5gb/sec you need to remove this tiny plastic connection to make it run at full Sata 2 speed

I would stay away from all WD drives except the raptor. Ive litterally seen dozens go bad all around me. I do however run a raptor drive in my desktop because of the good reviews and so far so good for that drive. Any other wd id run from. Ive like 5 myself in a years time. Maxtor drives ive only ever seen one fail out of dozens from people I know.

I would stay away from all WD drives except the raptor. Ive litterally seen dozens go bad all around me. I do however run a raptor drive in my desktop because of the good reviews and so far so good for that drive. Any other wd id run from. Ive like 5 myself in a years time. Maxtor drives ive only ever seen one fail out of dozens from people I know.
You're weird you dislike western digital (which people usually like), you love maxtor (which everyone hates).....

Good thread. Just on the topic of the drive brands... I've owned seagate, wd and maxtor. The on;y one I experienced problems with was maxtor. Still it was a good drive (while it worked).

I would have to agree with the rest of you that Seagate is the most reliable. The 5 yrs warranty is a real bonus as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom