137gb barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution: Due to BIOS limitations as well as those unique to Windows, partitioning and formatting drives larger than 137 Gigabytes without proper driver or controller support will result in data loss when storing data to the drive beyond the 137 GB Barrier. In order for you system to recognize more than 137 GB you will need to utilize one of the following recommended solutions: If you have a motherboard that has a Intel chipset (810, 810E, 810E2, 815, 815, 815E, 815EP, 815P, 820, 820E, 830M, 830MP, 830MG, 840, 845, 850, or 860) please visit Intel's web site and download the Intel Application Accelerator. Intel's Application Accelerator supports the full capacity of drives larger than 137 GB. If you do not have a motherboard that has a Intel chipset then it is recommended that you purchase an Ultra ATA 133 PCI card that supports 48 bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA). You can purchase the Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 PCI Card, which supports drives that are larger than 137 GB, directly from us or your local distributor. Of course these solutions are for people who do not have windows XP SP1 or higher

This is not entirely accurate...I have Windows Xp Home SP2 and I just put a Seagate 400 gb drive in my pc. I did however have to get the latest updated accelerator for my 810 chip. This quoted post is correct, except for the last statement.

I have a 300GB drive with a barrier b/c it was not formatted in conjunction with XP SP2. I've got a lot of GB of data on this drive but I don't want to lose it -- is there any way to restore the full drive capacity without losing all my data by reformatting? Would Partition Magic be of use?

Excuse my noobness.

I've read and read and read for the last 3 days. I feel like a castaway on an island with no coconuts or fishing equipment. I have read this entire thread and have read it before, but you seem like you know what you're talking about. Forgive me if I'm missing something, but here's my issue:

I'm having a problem installing a new 150GB raptor on my system that right now has a 74GB raptor.

my specs:
ASUS P5LD2
Pentium D 930 (3.0GHz Presler)
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
EVGA GeForce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Signature Series Video Card
Audigy2 ZS
NEC dvd burner
floppy...
trying to install a 150GB raptor

it works fine with the 74GB raptor, but when i go to install windows xp pro w/ SP2 on the new 150GB raptor without the 74GB raptor hooked up, i get the stop:0x0000007b BSOD every time. its a new drive with no other drive connected, even still, i've run virus checks as suggested by MS's website, i've read through all their suggestions, nothing is working. i've flashed my bios, fdisked the new drive, repartitioned it, installed the HD drivers from western digital, nothing i know to do is working. i have an RMA and am set to ship it back monday, but as a last ditch effort, i am asking you guys if you could give me some more insight on this. maybe something i'm not thinking of. when i hook both HDs up and boot off the 74GB raptor, windows can see the 150GB raptor and i can copy files to it and everything, so i can't think the drive is bad, but i don't know what else to do but ship it back.

any help is GREATLY appreciated, i've spent hours and hours with this thing. thanks for any help and for being civil.

when installing Vista you can extend your drive from 137GB to its full capacity

e.g mine was 137GB i extended it to 154GB

PartitionMagic worked. On Win XP Pro I expanded the volume and it recognized the 150GB of unused space immediately. Awesome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom