Emachines W2888 Wont Boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... Sorry if im repeating things twice! But im just making sure I understand it and im getting the right stuff.. I attacked two pictures... The one is the CPU chip right? and that CPU goes into that box thing right? So all I need to do is take this CPU from this CURRENT motherboard and put that in the new mobo? Correct..? And then ill take the heat sink and put that into the new mobo?

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• CPU.bmp
    8.3 KB · Views: 186
  • dock.bmp
    13.9 KB · Views: 187
The one is the CPU chip right? and that CPU goes into that box thing right?
Yes and yes.

So all I need to do is take this CPU from this CURRENT motherboard and put that in the new mobo? Correct..?
Again, yes.

It will be easier to remove the old motherboard before you remove the heatsink and CPU, and easier to install them on the new motherboard before you mount it.

Unplug the fan and remove the screws that hold it on, then take the fan off. Unclick the retainers holding the heatsink on and remove them. Twist the heatsink slightly to break the seal of the thermal paste, then lift it gently off of the CPU. Lift the socket handle:
figure12.jpg

and lift the CPU out (only handle it by the edges and be very careful of the pins). Clean the CPU's top and the heatsink's bottom off with alcohol and Q-tips. Reverse the steps to install the CPU in the new motherboard, remembering to apply the thermal paste before you put the heatsink back on.

The CPU only goes in one way:
figure13.jpg

so make sure it is lined up properly before you seat it with the lever.

Overall, here is a good visual guide to what you will be doing, except you aren't building a system from scratch. but you will need to see and know most of this.
Corsair System Build Reports

Ok... Thanks for all the help.. I was just looking at the CPU card and I notice there is one of the metal things that is bent down... Will that affect the whole CPU or not or do I need to buy a whole another CPU?

Thanks! :)

Whoah power supplies can mess up the motherboard? give me more information on this one. I'm planning to buy a new power supply, what do I do so my motherboard doesn't screw up?

Idk much about it... But just NEVER leave your computer plugged in when there is a storm or have it on a GOOD Surge Protector... Sometimes it can fry the mobo out and not the power supply... Thats my case I had...

A bent pin is fixable, but you have to be very careful. Use a mechanical pencil (without grphite in it). Slide the barrel over the pin and slowly, gently straighten it. If it breaks, game over.

When a PSU dies, it usually does so with a surge. This surge usually takes out the motherboard, and has been known to kill RAM and GFX cards. Use a good surge protector and only buy high quality PSus. There are a couple of guides here on TF that will tell you the best brands.

Kinda off topic.. But... When I get this all fixed and what not... Im going need to buy a LINKSYS router... We have digital TV service in our home and there is a Motorola Gateway box that controls the tv... But when I buy a router, The router is going to be connected to this gateway and my room is like about 100ft. away from this gateway... I dont want to have a wireless desktop card becuz it will prob. have interfearance... But I dont know how I am going to run a LONG ethernet cable to my room... I just cant run it through the living room.... N e body has suggestions?

Drop it through a hole and run it underneath the house. You only need enough room for the cable if you attach your own ends. Be sure to secure the cable to floor joists... Thumbtacks work good.
EIC0031.jpg

Just put the tacks in the side of the joists and run the cable across the top of them.

Use a dab of silicon to seal the hole around the cable (so your mom won't freak).

Ok... Great! I spoke with a Linksys rep. yesterday and he recommened that I get the WRT54GS (Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster) Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Broadband Routers/Wireless-G/WRT54GS and its PCI card WMP54GS (Wireless-G PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster) Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Adapters/Wireless-G/WMP54GS . Do you think these are good to buy. My router is going to be upstairs because it needs to be connected to this black motorola gateway that we have for our TV service and then im going to run a long ethernet cable down stairs to this computer and then the Wireless one will be my computer, about 35ft. away from the router. Sound like a good configuration? And then I will be putting XP Pro on my new computer and this computer has XP HOME. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

this thread is so random, first it talks about CPUs then about PSUs and surges then wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom