New PSU for P4 478

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I built a spare parts system for my dad with a P4 2.8 Northwood socket 478. Earlier today he called and said the PSU died. He's 3 hrs away so I'm not able to see the PSU and check the specs. I know the new PSU that came with the Antec Solutions case was "too new" and wouldn't work with the older parts. So I'm hoping someone can tell me the specs for a replacement PSU.

CPU - Socket 478 P4 2.8 Northwood
MOBO - Biostar - link - Newegg.com - BIOSTAR P4M80-M4 Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

If it helps, here's a link to the PSU that came with the Antec case, that would not work with the MOBO.
Antec.com - SP 350 Specsheet

Not sure if anything else matters, but if so please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

You may need the -5v if none of the newer PSUs work. Newegg and ZZF don't have the older models so you'll have to look elseware.

so I should be looking for something that says -5v for output, along with all the other output specs? where all or most new ones say +5v?

or what about swapping the mobo to something that's compatible with that smartpower 350w? Do all P4 478 mobos require the -5v voltage, or will some work with the SP350? If so, what specs should I be looking for with a new mobo - the all only say 20 pin or 20+4 pin, nothing else.

UPDATE

Sorry, I just need to get this fixed asap since it's their only pc. Newegg.com - Linkworld LPJ12-400W (PSWB-400) ATX 400W Polished Chrome Power Supply - Retail will that one work? I see -5v in the specs along with a bunch of other output.

Thanks

it kind of seems I need to get what I can find at a good site w/ fast shipping. I can't imagine I can still pick up a compatible psu in a local shop so options are limited. i agree with you about a better psu, but would that link at least work, or is it not the -5v specs I need?

Thanks

It does have the -5v and would work. It will have a high chance of breaking very soon and at that point, it may be even harder to find a PSU you need. Not only can it fail, it can damage your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom