some q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerstuffomg

Solid State Member
i'm looking to upgrade or completely rebuild my comp. purpose will be primarily for editing and secondarily for gaming. not sure i'm going to overclock, unless someone can convince me it will be a worthwhile performance boost (if it doesn't help enough, i'd rather have quieter and cooler parts, not take risk with components, and not have to learn how to overclock :eek: ).

i already have and am going to keep:
corsair 1gb high performance ram
500 & 120gb HDs

i'm going to discard parts and replace with:
-E6600
-(what mobo should i get)
-x-fi
-an additional 1gb ram (advice?)
-(case advise anyone?)
-this monitor's looking good Newegg.com - SCEPTRE X22WG-1080p Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail
-this psu is looking good
Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V - Retail

basically i'd really like some links to good components on newegg. also was wondering if i can buy a different brand or w/e of ram, or should get the same stick as i have. 'cause supposedly i spent too much on this high performance corsair if i'm not overclocking, so can i mix with a generic stick or what. also i'm quite scared of building my own computer, actually putting it together, so maybe some advice on that. also wondering about some cool ways to make my comp unique and stylish. it may sound funny haha but that's important to me. i already have a blue neon case light :cool: thanks

Just make sure the mobo supports the type of ram you're using currently(DDR or DDR2)

actually, if you are going to use a c2d...make sure you have ddr2 ram.
with an e6600, overclocking will not be worth it inless you are a nerd. then its fun.
overclocking is worth it if you have a 1.9ghz cpu and you clock it to 2.9. big difference. your e6600 will be fast enough at its stock speed.

I have that PSU and monitor, and they are amazing. Good choice. If you're really unsure of yourself building your own computer, you can just somebody, you know to build it.

cool can you guys actually recommend good parts like MB, ram, hd's and stuff? because there are so many items on newegg i know i'd get the wrong stuff..i might just sell my whole comp now including ram and HDs and get a new one. i know of that PSU and monitor because there were threads about them here :) there are so many different versions of even the same things :(

oh that'd help, good call -

i'm thinking anywhere in the 1,500 - 2000 range

no need for mouse or speakers, but probably will need OS (vista?) and everything else

For the processor, E6600 as you've chosen already.

Motherboard, you have a few options. Some good ones are:
Newegg.com - ABIT AB9 QuadGT LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - DFI INFINITY P965-S LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

For RAM, I would get G.Skill HZ's which are one of the best overclockers there are. I don't know if you want to keep your other RAM though since these might not work in dual channel. I would sell the Corsair or even run 3gigs. Although the 3gigs won't do much for you. BTW, are you sure your Corsair RAM is DDR2?
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail (2 sticks)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail (1 stick)

For HD's, get Seagate Barracuda's 7200.10. Raptors or anything like that aren't really worth it. If you want some faster speeds then the Barracuda's you can buy two and RAID0 them.

I honestly wouldn't get the Hiper power supply for such an expensive build. They're decent power supplies if you really dig it's looks but they're not as stable or reliable as others. Some good ones are:
Newegg.com - Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, TUV, CE, FCC, CCC, CB, C-tick - Retail
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN ATX12V, V2.2/EPS12V, V2.91, 600W RoHS Quad. SLi Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB, CE, CSA, TUV, UL, FCC - Retail
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W Power Supply at ZipZoomfly (or 620 version)
Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TÃœV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB - Retail
Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT ATX12V / EPS12V 550W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC - Retail (a little pricey but you pretty much can't get any better quality then this)
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE SST-ST56F ATX12V / EPS12V 560W Power Supply 90V ~ 264V (Auto Range) - Retail

Hard to give advice on a case since it's mostly personal preference but check out 3D Aurora, Centurion 534, Stacker, Armor, NZXT Zero, almost any Lian-Li etc..

Monitors good.

X-Fi good as long as it's not the Audio model.

And make sure you get a heatsink fan for your cpu. Some good ones are the Scythe Ninja, Zalman 9700 (if you dig looks), AC Freezer 7 (just don't pay the $60 on Newegg lmao, you can get them for around $25), Big Typhoon, Thermalright 120 etc. Sorry too lazy to get links :p, just search them up.

And about the OS, get XP if you want the least problem-free setup and a little better performance. Vista is fine but you may have some driver problems or some worse performance in games. You will need Vista eventually though to play the DX10 games once they start releasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom