Beta member
Ok so this whole thing started a week ago. First though heres my system:

Dell Dimension E510
Windows XP Proffesional
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
2 gigs RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS
Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02

So i ordered the 8600 a week ago. When i first got it I tried installing it but realized my power supply (which was only 305 watts at the time) did not have the right plug to connect to the card. So i took it to a local computer store and they managed to hook it up. I brought it home and it worked fine until i started a game. Basically when i boot up a game i hear the cards fan start up and then the screen goes black and then either stays like that or it reboots itself. I had this problem with all my games. I thought it could've been my drivers or something so ive uninstalled and reinstalled them multiple times but no luck. I emailed Nvidia support and they said i needed at least a 450 watt PS so i went out and got a 500w one. I installed it and everything worked fine except the games again, it did the same thing. Ive called Dell support, Nvidia, gone to my local computer store twice now and asked on many different forums, but to no avail. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

I've had Issues like that espically in alot of games... I launch the game the game freezes.. the screen goes black then I'm back to a low resolution, low color desktop and I get a message saying. "The Nvidia drivers have failed, you need to restart the computer." On my end I know its the shabby drivers..

But with me the games never work, the screen just goes black and the whole computer restarts.

I would say it's highly likely your current power supply just doesn't provide enough power. And when you try to play a game, it will put more strain on the power supply than it can handle.

I would say the computer store you took it to just used an adapter for the card (molex to P6)

Well I would look at the possiblity the card has an flaw, this is the same type of problem you would get if the card was starting to go, I had the same when my old 5700 went a long time ago, once i replaced the card the problem ceased, so i would try the card in another pc.

You have a 350 Watt PSU for an 8600GS?

I need around at least a 400-450 for my current rig and your card draws more power, I would assume that it is the PSU giving you the fits.

I have an E510 currently and have been running an 8600GT on my 305w PSU for the past 6 months with absolutely no problems at all. I would buy a new PSu but with all this Dell proprietary crap i'm scared i'll fry the MoBo. My desktop is about a year or 2 old i suppose.

I replaced by Dell PSU with no issues. There are plenty of places out there to get a Dell replacement. Just use Google. Cant find them up to 450W.

I replaced by Dell PSU with no issues. There are plenty of places out there to get a Dell replacement. Just use Google. Cant find them up to 450W.

Yea i know like PC power and cooling make PSUs just for Dells but i was wanting a specific Corsair one but was unsure if the wiring was right for my MoBo

Check yoru mobo conections. I have a after market PSU for my Dell. Had to do a bit of case modding to get it fit in there and working but all is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom