Starting Vista from SLEEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas lately I have been having problem with starting my PC from "SLEEP" mode. I have windows vista. I press "ENTER" to start up the computer from sleep mode but my monitor power button just keeps on blinking and nothing comes up. When I restart the computer I get a message saying "Windows had a problem.......Would you like to start windows in safe mode, regular mode or with networking.........." or something like that.

I have the Samsung 226BW monitor. By the way someone told me hybernating or sleep is not good for the pc. He told me I should just shut it down instead. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hibernate or sleep is jsut fine for your PC. Have you done all the updates to Vista? I know that when you put Vista to sleep and have a PPP connection going that there is a problem. Without this update you will always have this problem.

Putting your PC to hibernate or sleep is fine. Just make sure you have the power settings set to low power standby after 20-30 minutes. Shutting the PC down can actually cause harm over a period of time.

The reason is this. Everytime you hit the power button you send a small surge of pwer thru the PC mobo. After time that surge can cause failure in the mobo and other components. Using sleep (Which i have with this PC for over 3 years straight), or hibernate stops this as there is always power to the PC. You just have to wake it up.

As i stated my PC has been on for over 3 years straight. I have not had any problems with it at all. I think i left it off or 1 night. I do restart but it stays on always.

I've done all the updates up-to-now, and the same happens, when restarting (after setting it to standby mode) it prompts me by a menu : Do you want to continue with system restore? The same happened in RC2 before upgrading to the main edition of vista (ultimate) and I thought it was just a bug which will be solved, but it hasn't so far.

The same happened in RC2 before upgrading to the main edition of vista (ultimate)

This is your problem. RC2 was never intended to be used to upgrade from. It was even known thru all the RTM talk that you SHOULD format and fully install RTM and not upgrade from RC2. There was a major change in the code from RC2 to RTM with this aspect. So that is why you have this problem even after updates. Cause your system has a toss up between the RC and the RTM code there.

This is your problem. RC2 was never intended to be used to upgrade from. It was even known thru all the RTM talk that you SHOULD format and fully install RTM and not upgrade from RC2. There was a major change in the code from RC2 to RTM with this aspect. So that is why you have this problem even after updates. Cause your system has a toss up between the RC and the RTM code there.

Well, I didn't actually upgraded, I firstly formated the disc because I had already heard about the compartibility problem, so I don't realise why it happens again.

Using sleep (Which i have with this PC for over 3 years straight), or hibernate stops this as there is always power to the PC. You just have to wake it up.

Not true at all. Hibernate turns off your computer just the same as if you shut it down. It just saves you desktop state to the hdd before shutting down.

And about the stand by thing. First of all, it will take thousands upon thousands of boot ups before you ever start noticing a problem. Second, the power surge in the mobo is not the only issue. The expanding and cooling of all of the parts(CPU mainly) causes them to weaken which will eventually allow some of the tiny components to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom