Upgrading Old Desktop Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbbraveheart

Baseband Member
so I will be building a new desktop(read: after the wedding next year lol) so in the meantime I want to upgrade the memory of my POS desktop

Im wondering if this is a good decision or if i should hold off

specs of said POS:

Intell P3 1.0GHz
256MB PC100/133 RAM (dont laugh at me :()
Voodoo graphics card(again dont laugh at me lol)

I use this mainly for my home office and I use it for web browsing and office 2003 apps

so I could care less

I just need more memory because available memory left to play with is 30MB!!!! lol

I was thinking upgrading to 512 or higher???

any suggestions?

oh and is there a way to tell what type of memory (as in pc100 or pc133 or whatever) WITHOUT opening the case???

everest home should tell you all your system specs :D. Is you ram ddr2??? if it is ddr then don't spen much money as ddr is the old standard so wont have a use in your next pc.

Matt

I agree with saltynay, ddr is being phased out. It'd just be a waste if you bought more ddr. tho it wouldnt cos much just to get another 512 stick. Or, if u really dont want to pay, i have a 256mb 133 card u could have, depending on where u iz :)...
btw, if you want to add something to your thread, just click the edit button!

It is a P3, so of course it's not DDR2. Since when does DDR2 come in PC100/133???

PC100/PC133 is SDRAM, which has 168 pins. DDR has 184 pins, while DDR2 has 240 pins.

You can get SDRAM on NewEgg. Sticks of 256 start around $30, so it is a quick and cheap upgrade.

Thank you trotter for clearing that up...man i was about to blow up...ddr2 running at pc100...WTF? that was just really bugging me reading this topic

thanks for recommending the program...I did do a search but it didnt turn up much

and most likely Ill probally end up going with a 512 stick and a 256 stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom