Router Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTwenny

In Runtime
Ok i am buying a router this Friday and i am so confused. I want to be able to hook up my ps3 and computer. I am just finishing my new build so i can match the computers wifi to whatever i need. What is the fastest wireless router that is compatible with the ps3, that has at least 4 ports. Will i need extra usb enhancers for the ps3 or computer ?

I have a Buffalo Wireless router i got for 40 bucks on the egg. It works well enough for inside and its fully flashable to those really good BIOS. it has 4 ports and a good signal.

Ok i was looking at 2 different Linksys routers so far. What i am confused about it one is wireless-N and one is wireless-G.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10075040&catid=19994&logon=&langid=EN

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10043626&catid=19994&logon=&langid=EN

Those are the ones i am looking at. I know the wireless-N must be a lot faster and better, but i have no idea what the the playstation3 is set up for. I am clueless on this whole subject.

Go with the G router. The N standard is still in draft to the best of my knowledge. Even if it's out of draft, the support isn't wide yet. However, if the wireless N router you posted a link for was 802.11b/g compatible I'd say go for it. But it doesn't say on the page that it is, and I wouldn't expect it to be.

Do NOT get anything but G unless you want to be talking to other computers on the network REALLY fast.

The ISP is the slowest link in the chain, the max they give out in the U.S. I believe is 8 MBPS, at least without paying an arm and a leg for it. That means from the router that is going 54 MBPS hyou are ONLY getting 8 out of it, so N which goes around 100 MBPS is a waste of cash.

Do yourself a favor and save cash, because N is a bloody waste of dough.

Will the G be fast enough to stream movies from my pc to ps3 so i can watch on my TV. Ig it is than ya i will go G and save the money. Will i need any usb booster for the ps3 ?

actually G doesnt even operate at its full potential if you look up benchmarks and other ino you will see that realistically it's only working at around ~20 at max and the nmore devices you are using with it will take up even more bandwith, I suggest you get a MIMO router, I also vote no on the N since it is still in its infancy and is getting beat by most wireless-g routers. Unless you mind about security, I think N routers have wpa enterprise, which is better than wpa, wep, etc. but if someones really bound on stealing your internet it won't matter. I couldn't comment on the linksys routers since i have the router that my isp gave me, but I do not like the linksys driver support for vista at this time however xp is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom