System Crashes When CD is in DVD DRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosurdavid

Solid State Member
Well. Every time I insert a CD/DVD disk into the DVD drive my computer lags up, resulting in a crash. Every time I insert a CD/DVD before the computer boots up, and restarting the computer, the computer will NOT boot up ending in a crash. So basically every everytime I insert a CD/DVD disk into this DVD drive, it results in a crash. Oh, and putting ANY thing in the regular CD drive crashes too. So all my drivers that can read CDS are basically dead. I really need the DVD drive because I want to burn something :( . ANY help will aid me.

BTW here are my com specs:
AMD64 Processor 3200+
512 RAM
2.21 Ghz

Thank you.

-David

Please bear with me, my first post here! :eek:

back to the beginning my child....how did this start...
always been like this?
who/when was drive installed?

my experience, an incorrect jumper setting on the drive can result in such behaviour.

I'm thinking it might be the drive itself; perhaps the CD read laser is faulty.
In that case, it's worth just getting another drive altogether. They're not expensive nowadays.

Thanks for the quick responses!

No, the drivers werent always like this. They were working fine until It tried to burn a CD. The computer then crashed, so I ended up rebooting it. When I rebooted it, I retried to burn the CD. Every Since then, it has been acting up.
Also, I never used my CD drive. I only used the DVD driver. So its a bit weird that the CD drive is acting up too.

hmmm, have you researched enough for your components? I am wondering if there as a known firmware upgrade for your mobo bios. I was going to say firmware for opticals too...but not sure...however it might not hurt to check.

in any event, you say putting a disc in your computer before computer boot up results in a crash...i'd say just go into bios and preven the cd from reading first if that is the case. Make it hardware. And just for the info...note what your bios gives you on your system.

Well, I've downloaded firmware for my DVD driver, no effect whats so ever. And I don't believe there is a known firmware for my mobo. Also when I plug in CD before bootup, I changed it to HARDRIVE. No effect whatsoever too, freezes after windows. Bios says everything is working fine too .. Im pretty sure a reformat will fix this problem, but I cant insert the disk if its not reading it! .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom