weird 56K/phone line problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnuk013

Beta member
I was trying to help someone get set up with dial-up and I have a weird problem, I think I have actually eliminated the modem as being the problem but I'm not sure who else to ask about this. The modem gets no dial tone but a phone hooked up to the computer does get a dial tone. here is the weird thing, I took a standard corded phone and if you jog the receiver it looses the dial tone. This is basically what is happening with the modem. when it first clicks on it must break the connection for a second and that causes it to lose the dial tone. If I pick up the phone and leave it off the hook the modem keeps the dial tone and is able to connect normally. Is this just something stupid like call waiting, or is this normal? Is the some way to put something in front of the number that will make it hang up for a second or two? (I know a comma is a pause.)
:confused:

might be call waiting....but guessing :D
other than that...disabling call waiting or the pausing thing I think you can set up in modem properties or something

I did some creative googling and came up with some ideas. a "!" is a "hook flash" but I don't think that will be long enough. I need to either keep the modem from hook flashing or increase the time of the flash. I went through the setting for the modem like 20 times and I am pretty sure there was not any settings for a hookflash. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom