Space Ninja Pirate
My current rig:
ECS KA3 MVP mobo
AMDx2 4200 AM2
2x1GB Patrio PC5300
160GB HD
ATI x1800xt 256MB
Antec Truepower II 550w

I put this set up together back in August and am needing a little more kick for my gaming and I could use some extra HD space. With the new 8 series out I was looking at the EVGA 8600 GTS ($200) and picking up another gig of RAM (2x512) and maybe a second HD. Trying to keep my expenditures under $350. Does this sound good? I am open to suggestions.

You don't need an extra gig of ram. You have 2gb of ram already, which is plenty for gaming. If you don't get the ram, it gives you enough money to get an 8800GTS 320mb instead.

and you can overclock that 4200 (which may need it a little to keep up with a GTX...i dont think it really does for a GTS) a few hundred MHz and it will (should) be fine. the card upgrade will be a tremendous difference, though.
if you want to upgrade your cpu, i suggest you wait till the new amd architecture comes out (hopefully this fall)...if you save a little more by then you should be able to upgrade to a Kuma, and also buy your video card (which will also be cheaper in a few months...maybe we'll be able to get the GTX for around the GTS current price).
another 160GB HDD can be had for like 50 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom